Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Members Saltwater Tanks Showcase
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
 
Old 04-01-2014, 07:51 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
Macscale's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Lakewood Ranch, Florida.
Posts: 2,850
Macscale's 55g Reef Upgraded

Finally, the fish gods have shed some light onto me.

The other day, I picked up a new 55g tank from Petco at the dollar per gallon sale. My dream upgrade, even though most of you say the 40b footprint is better, I went with this guy for the space. There is one down side, the glass is tempered. Which, I can work through anyway.

I also ran out to Home Depot, got the wood I needed, and the screws, glue, and stain to make my stand. The stand will be open. As this tank will NOT have a sump.

Highly considering getting Dr. Tim's to cycle this tank, because I can't wait a whole month for this!

I also ordered a 50lb box of rock online. Should be here by the end of this week.

I will be building the stand later today, and then mounting the tank. Until the rock comes, that's as far as I will go.

I plan on running a Reef Octopus HOB Skimmer, along with an AC110. As for lighting, that will be a work in progress, because being a student, and expensive items don't really match well!

Pics are to come later today, as I build the stand!
__________________

__________________
55g Reef Build
Macscale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2014, 02:58 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
jwh0818's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Harlingen, TX
Posts: 5,563
Cool! Can't wait to see it come together!

Why not go with a few lbs of live rock and skip Dr. Tims?
__________________

__________________
Fluffy's History!
jwh0818 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2014, 03:24 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Regular
 
Aquariumfish123's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Posts: 89
Yeah I'd go for some live rock, instead of dr Tim's
__________________
Aquariumfish123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2014, 05:13 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
Macscale's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Lakewood Ranch, Florida.
Posts: 2,850
The live rock will not speed up the cycle. Sure, it will help a little, but not nearly as much as dr. Tim's.
__________________
55g Reef Build
Macscale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2014, 05:53 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
jwh0818's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Harlingen, TX
Posts: 5,563
Quote:
Originally Posted by Macscale View Post
The live rock will not speed up the cycle. Sure, it will help a little, but not nearly as much as dr. Tim's.
Yes but Dr. Time is a hit or miss
__________________
Fluffy's History!
jwh0818 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2014, 06:17 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
Oscarr19's Avatar

POTM Champion
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Canada
Posts: 2,036
This is an upgrade correct? If you're using the same live rock as the your previous tank you won't need to cycle again as you'll have more or less the proper biological level for your stock. Just use base rock to higher your rock count. It'll just be a matter of adding fish slowly but the added water volumes does help.
__________________
Oscarr19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2014, 09:11 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
Macscale's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Lakewood Ranch, Florida.
Posts: 2,850
Macscale's 55g Reef Upgraded

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oscarr19 View Post
This is an upgrade correct? If you're using the same live rock as the your previous tank you won't need to cycle again as you'll have more or less the proper biological level for your stock. Just use base rock to higher your rock count. It'll just be a matter of adding fish slowly but the added water volumes does help.

Correct, that is my plan. However 25lb to 50lb is quite a difference. If I were to just add my clown and goby, then they'd be fine because it wouldn't create dangerous levels or ammonia or nitrite. They'd also supply the BB with food slowly.
__________________
55g Reef Build
Macscale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2014, 09:12 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
Macscale's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Lakewood Ranch, Florida.
Posts: 2,850
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwh0818 View Post
Yes but Dr. Time is a hit or miss

More hits then misses. It works if you order straight from him, and don't keep it laying around.
__________________
55g Reef Build
Macscale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2014, 07:32 AM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
Oscarr19's Avatar

POTM Champion
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Canada
Posts: 2,036
Quote:
Originally Posted by Macscale View Post
Correct, that is my plan. However 25lb to 50lb is quite a difference. If I were to just add my clown and goby, then they'd be fine because it wouldn't create dangerous levels or ammonia or nitrite. They'd also supply the BB with food slowly.

Exactly, so start with your current live rock level and add base rock so you don't have to deal with possible spikes due to die off. That way you can add your current stock and just add new stock slowly.
__________________
Oscarr19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2014, 07:41 AM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
Macscale's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Lakewood Ranch, Florida.
Posts: 2,850
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oscarr19 View Post
Exactly, so start with your current live rock level and add base rock so you don't have to deal with possible spikes due to die off. That way you can add your current stock and just add new stock slowly.

Right, that would work well. I'd just have to go slowly and not increase stock too fast. A clownfish and goby don't have much of a bioload, especially to a 55g. I still have to wait for the new rock to get in though.
__________________

__________________
55g Reef Build
Macscale is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
reef, upgrade

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Upgraded to a 55g Tank john_hosier1984 Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion 1 11-16-2013 03:09 PM







» Photo Contest Winners








Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 03:50 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.