Macscale's 55g Reef Upgraded

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Macscale

Aquarium Advice Addict
Finally, the fish gods have shed some light onto me.

The other day, I picked up a new 55g tank from Petco at the dollar per gallon sale. My dream upgrade, even though most of you say the 40b footprint is better, I went with this guy for the space. There is one down side, the glass is tempered. Which, I can work through anyway.

I also ran out to Home Depot, got the wood I needed, and the screws, glue, and stain to make my stand. The stand will be open. As this tank will NOT have a sump.

Highly considering getting Dr. Tim's to cycle this tank, because I can't wait a whole month for this!

I also ordered a 50lb box of rock online. Should be here by the end of this week.

I will be building the stand later today, and then mounting the tank. Until the rock comes, that's as far as I will go.

I plan on running a Reef Octopus HOB Skimmer, along with an AC110. As for lighting, that will be a work in progress, because being a student, and expensive items don't really match well!

Pics are to come later today, as I build the stand!

Cool! Can't wait to see it come together!

Why not go with a few lbs of live rock and skip Dr. Tims?

This is an upgrade correct? If you're using the same live rock as the your previous tank you won't need to cycle again as you'll have more or less the proper biological level for your stock. Just use base rock to higher your rock count. It'll just be a matter of adding fish slowly but the added water volumes does help.

This is an upgrade correct? If you're using the same live rock as the your previous tank you won't need to cycle again as you'll have more or less the proper biological level for your stock. Just use base rock to higher your rock count. It'll just be a matter of adding fish slowly but the added water volumes does help.

Correct, that is my plan. However 25lb to 50lb is quite a difference. If I were to just add my clown and goby, then they'd be fine because it wouldn't create dangerous levels or ammonia or nitrite. They'd also supply the BB with food slowly.

Correct, that is my plan. However 25lb to 50lb is quite a difference. If I were to just add my clown and goby, then they'd be fine because it wouldn't create dangerous levels or ammonia or nitrite. They'd also supply the BB with food slowly.

Exactly, so start with your current live rock level and add base rock so you don't have to deal with possible spikes due to die off. That way you can add your current stock and just add new stock slowly.

Exactly, so start with your current live rock level and add base rock so you don't have to deal with possible spikes due to die off. That way you can add your current stock and just add new stock slowly.

Right, that would work well. I'd just have to go slowly and not increase stock too fast. A clownfish and goby don't have much of a bioload, especially to a 55g. I still have to wait for the new rock to get in though.

Had quite some trouble with the stand last night... I bought the wrong screws, broke the drill, and forgot sand paper. I now have the base and top done though!

Had quite some trouble with the stand last night... I bought the wrong screws, broke the drill, and forgot sand paper. I now have the base and top done though!

Oh man that does sound like trouble! Pics of progress!!!

Ah yeah, here is what I have done. I had to move the weight onto the screws since the drill broke. Thankfully I got ones that can support 850lbs.ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1396468841.345540.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1396468861.087826.jpg

Oh yeah. Deck screws will be all good. I burned through two boxes in a day! I'm running out to get more today. I'll finish the stand, sand it, stain it. Then bring it inside!

Back
Top Bottom