My 29 gallon reef tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
That depends. I keep frags on the plugs. I used to glue them down, but now I use a diamond boring bit to put holes in the rock so they can slide down into.
As for coral going into the tank, it doesn't matter too much. Very little bioload on a system. It all depends on room and aggression. I like to go slow so I do t swamp my tank with common or bland corals as they turn into almost pests at times.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

So here is some news. I think it may be time to give away my clownfish. The female does great but the male is always timid of her, and now to cleaner shrimp are harassing him as well. Every time i see him he is pale looking and hiding in a cave. He comes out to eat and everything is fine then he is chased back into a cave. I don't want him to live life like this. I would trade him, but I could not get another clownfish because my female will do the same to them. Any ideas on what I should do. I know it's normal but it's gone on for 3 years now. My male never looks good, he is always smaller never as bright as he should be and is always hiding. I don't know what to do. Would a coral beauty help. I know angle fish run the tank so that may stop fighting.

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

I think that little girl should go. Get yourself a nice girl to build your boys confidence.

Just like Marlin and Coral.

Thanks I edited what I said above. Will this ever stop. It's gone on for 3 years. And like I said above my male is incredibly smaller, always hiding, never a orange as he should be and almost always has an injury. And even if I were to,get rid of the female would he ever r cover to how he should look? Am I better off with a different kind of fish?

Sorry I just dislike a bully. I have rehomed many fish that did not play well with others.

Thanks if you were wondering what he looks like usually here's a old pic of him ( lights off so I can't really get a good pic)ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1471579735.112155.jpg he is the one in the back, you can tell he is not as orange as he should be.

You should get him his own tank kingdom to rule with an awesome anemone. (In a perfect world with unlimited time and $$$)

I think the fighting is because I feed them at night. My mom sees them normally swimming together fine but when I go to feed them I always see issues. I feed a little bit at night each day. Am I better at randomly feeding every other day or do something else.

edit: may have found a solution, it's getting a coral beauty. Last time I had one (before it died of ick) my clownfish never fought they swam together and were happy. I think I'll pick one up this weekend.

Yah I figured that out a long time ago, I just see a lot of people with them in there bio cubes. So what fish you think would be good with clownfish something that will not get scared off. Or what coral should I get that clownfish will love and keep them peaceful.

So I have some good news, the fighting only happens during feeding time and secondly my female clownfish has started to host my frog spawn. She does not sit in it but she hovers around it and will occasionally swim through it or rub her head on it. I don't really have a good picture since when I get close she notices me and swims to the surface respecting food. Here's the closest I could get ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1471663804.599564.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1471663817.071007.jpg
If your wondering where my male is he's hiding in a cave in the right set of rocks, he hosts those caves and the fake plant to the right. I'll have to get a Duncan for him.

Hey what should my next coral be. I just ordered some new power heads so I can get the left side of the rock and the front face of them.

What do you think about ricordia or acan corals?

I have a acan but it grows so slow, I just figured out its skeleton has gotten a bit bigger. I would love a recordia but at my lfs it was 150 for one.

Do you live in Australia? Chalice corals are fairly easy to keep

All stony corals can be slow growing. It takes time to form the skeleton. Some grow faster than others, but in general they are part of the most important concept in this hobby - patience.

Ok, I was thinking of picking up some blue mushrooms and zoas for my tank. Are there any corals that are a mush get for a starting reef. The less maintenance the better.
Also just placed a order for two sunsun jvp-110 power heads. Got them because there small, so I could point them where I need them.

You should be able to find ricordea Florida for a lot cheaper than that

I'll ask my fish store if not there is one by o'hare that has more corals then my store.

Back
Top Bottom