My 29 gallon reef tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Ok. I'm going to try a clean up crew again because I have green algae for the first time, and that's what they eat. The fish acclaimed well to the tank last night. They chased each other occasionally but I think that will go away. No dead fish smell this morning so I know nothing jumped out last night. I'm going to keep you guys posted more.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

So far everything is living. Fish are fine snails are good, I can't tell about the hermit crabs. But I have run into the red algae again because I now have to feed the fish. I'm feeding very little on a every other day basis. My lights are on for 9 hours (1 hour moon lights, 8 hours normal lighting). I don't know what's causing it. If it's left over food should I pick up a shrimp to eat it?

Adding another eating/pooping creature won't solve the issue as it's still what is in the water column that is causing the issue. It is nutrient export that will need looked at. Ro/di water goes in with nothing in it. Water changes will bring it down, skimming, or maybe even looking into some sort of media to be run to address the nitrates and phosphates.

I feed twice a week, tue and fri for my 75g Try that and cut down even more? And then everything sniper suggested, water changes are miracle workers along with some good mech filtration

I just cleaned about my skimmer last night and added a new carbon sponge in it. I'll try and do more water changes to see if that helps. I should mention it's not bad but it's on the sand and it's annoying.

Before your next water water lightly blast the surface of the sand with a turkey Baster in order to stir up whatever is decaying there, or siphon the top. I would also look at getting some purgien as Charcoal really just removes impurities in the water. Each piece has tiny holes in its surface where particular get trapped, so in order for it to be effect it needs to replace every 2-3 days

I usually stir the sand daily anyways. I'm going to do a water change tonight because I think I have to much salt in my tank.

So I lost another snail. I came home to see that one of my blue legged hermit crabs had decided to have a snack on the snail that could not stick to the wall. Red algae is still getting worse and I don't know the source of it. I keep adding salt to the tank because every thing I have that reads salt is saying it's low. My corals are not happy. It's like my tank is gone bad or something.

I'm not. It's just the salt water that was pre mixed at my lfs.

Hm, well didn't read that way.
For the Cyanobacteria, siphon it all out during a 50% water change. Next day, keep the lights out. Day 3, lights still out and another 50% water change. 4th day no lights. Day 5, return to normal.

I'll try that. Thanks for all the help you guys give me by the way :)

So an update on my tank. Red algae is slowly going away, so it's better but not all the way gone. Fish are still alive and so are 2 of my snails I got awhile back.

I'm finally going to kick back on the skimmer today after letting the chem clean kill off the red algae I could not get rid of. My zoas are completely uncovered and there is no more of it encroaching on my torch. I'm going to try and photograph my tank once it's back and looking good again.

So I'll make this short take is doing fantastic, just need to get some herbivores to work on my green algae. Now for a photo dump, and these are my best photos yet.IMG_1181.jpgIMG_1187.jpgIMG_1186.jpgIMG_1184.jpg

So I lost my cardinal. Don't know what happened to him. He was always shy but when I came home today he was just dead, no injuries, no sign of sickness. Everything else is ok. So now I'll be fish shopping soon, let me know if you guys have any suggestions.

So I lost my cardinal. Don't know what happened to him. He was always shy but when I came home today he was just dead, no injuries, no sign of sickness. Everything else is ok. So now I'll be fish shopping soon, let me know if you guys have any suggestions.

the bangii cardinals need to be enticed to eat especially in a new environment ,
when I had mine they wouldn't touch flakes , pellets or frozen , it took live mysiss shrimp to get them to eat after that they ate everything , it took live feeders to get them to move around and catch food otherwise they are like zombies in a world of there own.

those corals are sweet the acan really caught my eye (y)

My banggai eats everything. Even when I first introduced him and he was the smallest fish in the tank. Honestly I used to think they were so boring but now that I have a big fat one, even though he doesn’t swim a lot he is still pretty cool. Definitely a fish worth another try imo.

Back
Top Bottom