My 29 gallon reef tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Winter-huntsman

Aquarium Advice Freak
So it's a tank I have been released naming for about 3 years now, and 2 of those years has been with live coral. The tank is a rectangular 29 gallon tank. The systems are 2 heaters (long ago a old one broke and since no back up things were cold), a pump and a octopus proteins skimmer, as well as a led light. My 2 fish are ocelaris clownfish, both tank breed. The female will pick on the male one quite often, but I read that's normal. My corals are a purple and green acan, and a star polyp. I have had the acan for almost 6 moths it has grown a little bit but, again I read that's normal for hard corals.ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1466651664.775467.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1466651689.260038.jpg

Also wondering what you guys thought about me getting another piece of coral it would go on the right side of the large live rock formation on the left. I was thinking of something branching, or something colorful like Florida ricordea. Let me know what you guys think. Including adding other things like different fish that won't mind my bossy female clownfish, more live rock, ect. I just want this tank to be manageable as well for my parent when I leave for college in 2 years.

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

So I have decided to rework my tank going to move rock around, add coral fish that kind of thing. I need some ideas on what to add to make this a peaceful and easy to manage reef tank. Let me know if you guys have any ideas on what I should do.

Any thoughts on adding more rock?

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Yes that is my plan. I want to bridge the 2 existing formations making the center part taller as well. How many peices you think it will take?

On another note I'm thinking of getting cleaner shrimp, specifically the blood red fire shrimp. Is this a good fit for a reef tank because I have a zebra hermit crab in the tank with my 2 clownfish.

Personal preference on the rock scape. I'd personally get the rock up to about 3/4 of the total water height. I'm guessing you should leave some room for coral on top of the bridge. Wrt the fire shrimp; I love mine but they are a little more docile than a skunk shrimp, so you may not see it very often, depending on your rock scape

Thanks, that is my plan to create a pyramid shape in the center. Besides the shrimp what fish and corals you think would work. I was thinking 6 line and coral beauty.

Also here's a quick question about my male clownfish. He has been eating fine and swimming normally but he has some darker tissue around his fins and today I noticed there was a white line. It looked like scar tissue. Should this be something I should be worried about because all my tank parameters should be fine since 3 days ago when I checked. Could these injuries be from my female picking on him? I know this is a stupid question but I worry about him. So far from reader has I know it's not ich because that would be at the gills which are in front of the fins, also here's a picture of him. This side is not the one with the possible scar tissue. I can't edit a picture in so I'll just post it below.

I'm going to try and Ignore the injury and darker coloring behind the fins. Clownfish are hardy and my male clownfish has seen worse. When he was young my female shredded all his fins to stubs and scrapped up his entire body and he came back from that. So I decided on this order of improvements. This week I'm going to grab a shrimp and more live rock, next I'll get a bunch of new coral, and finally around fall ill get fish. Any suggestions on some good beginners coral. Remember I have 2 clownfish and a zebra crab and will soon have a blood red fire shrimp.
Ps is there anyway to reduce the fighting between the two. When I'm in the room I find the male hiding in the corner. And when he leaves the female chases him back in there. When I'm not in the room and my mom walks in there swimming fine together.
Never mind figured out I was not feeding them enough food.

So back to the main thing now that I have calmed down about my fish. What are some good easy corals that will do good in my tank. Also is there anything else I should get this weekend besides live rock and the fire shrimp?

Zoas, shrooms, leathers, torch, hammer, frogspawn, favia, duncans

And to answer your question no one can tell you what to get for your tank lol.

Those look good I had the same idea about the torch coral and mushrooms. How about branching things like birds nest or lemon tree.

What's a lemon tree? Like scientific name, I've never heard that common name. You could try Birdsnest but they aren't "easy". What kind of light do you have?

Gotcha it's a type of nepthea coral. Yep they're easy to keep soft corals.

I took a video of my tank to show you guys how would I post it, right now it's on my iPads camera roll. On another note the fighting in my tank stopped after I started to feed my clownfish more, and the male is also growing.

So I have been reading up on the different corals. When it comes time I plan on getting some mushrooms, a Duncan, some zoas and either a frogspawn or torch coral. I can't decide between the torch or frogspawn. I have read they grow really quickly and need lots of room. I'm a little worried another growth because I don't know how to drag anything. That goes with taking pugs off as well (my acan is still on his plug). What your guys opinion between torch corals or frogspawns.

So I have been reading up on the different corals. When it comes time I plan on getting some mushrooms, a Duncan, some zoas and either a frogspawn or torch coral. I can't decide between the torch or frogspawn. I have read they grow really quickly and need lots of room. I'm a little worried another growth because I don't know how to drag anything. That goes with taking pugs off as well (my acan is still on his plug). What your guys opinion between torch corals or frogspawns.

Neither torches or frogs pawns grow super fast. They tend to split heads every couple months, they just have long sweeper tentacles so you have to watch out when placing them near other corals.

I was reading up on torch corals and I read how bad they can sting you. Do they staying as bad as they say they do and how about frogspawns are they stingers. I like the torch corals because they come in many colors and I'm hoping my clownfish will live in them.

Back
Top Bottom