My 40 Gal Reef Tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

aquaholik

Aquarium Advice Newbie
This is my relatively new 40 gal reef tank. I have had this tank up and running for about 3 months. It has been going very well so far. I was able to seed this tank with plenty from my previous tank and a friend's tank. Here are some pictures of my tank as it currently stands.
FTS
full.JPG

The rest of the pictures...
pic1.JPG

pic2.JPG

pic3.JPG

pic14.JPG

pic4.JPG

pic5.JPG

pic6.JPG

And Finally...
pic13.JPG

I hope you've enjoyed. I am working hard to make this a diverse and thriving tank.

Very nicely done! You have some awesome looking frags in there too!!!

Welcome to AA!

5th pic from the top. The acro, purple with green ployps...what is it?

Wow, very impressive! It looks like the "Emerald City" in there!

I am very impressed hard to believe its only 40 gallons. And only 3months you definately know what your doing how many tanks have you had in the past?

Welcome to AA

Thanks everyone...
cool.gif

I have worked very hard to get it where it is. I am sure it is because of the use of stock from previously owned tanks (of mine and friends) that has helped get my tank where it is today in such a short time period.

Ziggy953 - That is a Purple Bonsai frag. It has really started to turn into a nice frag.

cmor1701d - Those are just home made frag racks nothing fancy about them, but they really do the job that I intended for them well...

fijiwigi - I guess I am just a quick study. I had a 5 Gal satwater tank previous to this one for about a year. Learned a lot with that tank. Other than that I just have a 20 Gal freshwater tank.

Wow, your first saltwater was a 5 gallon? You successfully kept corals that way? I'm considering starting my first saltwater soon. I've only been researching for 4 years... (I had talked myself into waiting until we had A/C, but given some recent threads and some more cash in my pocket, I think I might be getting ready to do a nano.)

Thanks everyone...
cool.gif

Ziggy953 - That is a Purple Bonsai frag. It has really started to turn into a nice frag.

Thanks, that is what I thought it was but wasn't sure. Hmmmm....I need to add that to my collection!! I do like the color!

I have 3 racks like yours in my 55g frag tank and one in my main display. They do work out very well. You can reposition them as needed and take them out easily. And here I thought I was the one with the original idea of gluing eggcrate to a mag/cleaner...LOL

Wow, your first saltwater was a 5 gallon? You successfully kept corals that way?
Yeah I had to start small with the saltwater. All I had to work with was a 5 Gal tank and my wife would not let me go bigger at that point in time. So I figured that if I could get the 5 Gal to work out then I could get almost any tank size to work. I was able to keep several different corals going in that tank, mainly softies and zoos...

Now I just have to work on her to allow me to go up from the 40 Gal, though this will take some work and time... :D

You can reposition them as needed and take them out easily. And here I thought I was the one with the original idea of gluing eggcrate to a mag/cleaner...LOL
I love the way that you can move the racks around to find the perfect spot in the tank for the corals. I also wanted to have a place to put newly aquired corals while I decided on where to place them as well as figure out at what height in the tank they should be placed. It is much easier to do this when they are on the racks and not attached to rocks.

I also did not use the mag/cleaner... I went to my local HD and found some real nice magnets that were strong enough to do this work. It was a little more economical than getting mag/cleaners, plus the magnets I got from HD are stronger than those.

UPDATE... My new light fixture and bulbs are due to be delivered tomorrow. I hope to have some new pictures up sometime this weekend.

Back
Top Bottom