My 55g reef

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Duddits

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hi guys and gals. Well with all I've posted in other threads I'm really surprised I overlooked the members tank page lol. So here it is

It's a reef ready 55g tank
Custom stand sets the tank at almost 6' in total height.
Lights - Coralife 4 bulb T5 set up w/led lunars
Bulbs consist of 2 - 10k, 1 - Fiji purple German bulb and 1 - blue actinic
Koralia 750 and a zoomed powersweep
Wet/dry sump capable for a 100+ gallons
Coralife skimmer
Turbo twist UV sterilizer
Rio 2100 return pump

Roughly 50-60 lbs live rock
50lbs Fiji pink live sand

Live stock
1 - green chromis
1 - small yellow tang
1 - small foxface
5 - Mexican turbo snails
12 - reef hermits

Corals
Frogspawn
Mushrooms 2 metallic greens and 2 reds
Maxima clam

Tank water is tested every 3-4 days
Treated with Ocean's Blend Calcium #1
Kent Marine strontium and molybdenum
Instant Ocean reef accelerator

Attachments

• image-3365301118.jpg
    image-3365301118.jpg
    105 KB · Views: 328
  • image-3835200460.jpg
    image-3835200460.jpg
    149 KB · Views: 318
  • image-394276921.jpg
    image-394276921.jpg
    147.7 KB · Views: 252
  • image-643041571.jpg
    image-643041571.jpg
    180.6 KB · Views: 295
This is Sonic and Flava. My wife named them

Attachments

• image-752106885.jpg
    image-752106885.jpg
    184.7 KB · Views: 293
  • image-905024842.jpg
    image-905024842.jpg
    145.6 KB · Views: 308
Cool tank!! ome Zoanthids would go great in there. Just a suggestion. Do you have any pics with the night light on?? And how is your powerhead setup?? I have the same size tank and i have a Koralia 1400, 1200, and 425 nano koralia. 85lbs of live rock, and aquatic life 6 bulb programable fixture, Reef octopus bh100 skimmer, and a Coralife turbo twist sterilizer... Ohh and do you have any pics of your frogspawn?? Nice setup! :3

Love the clam! I've been wanting one since day one of my reef but still have frags sitting on my sand bed that need placed so I guess ill be waiting a lil longer haha

Sorry, I've been off this thread for a while. I have to frogsoawns. One is a double and one is a single. Finally found a happy spot in the tank or them both and boy are they happy. When opened they'll get to nearly a size of a baseball. As for my power heads, I have a Koralia 750 and a powersweep and then the return from a rio pump. I have the 750 on the left blowing across the tank about mid way. The powersweep is directed in the path of the return which causes a great current over the top of the tank and rock. I've added maybe 7-8 more corals so I'll update the pics as soon as I delete some old ones. I've reached my max lol

Mrc8858 said:
Love the clam! I've been wanting one since day one of my reef but still have frags sitting on my sand bed that need placed so I guess ill be waiting a lil longer haha

Thanks. Love my clam. Got him at a great price. As for your frags, don't keep them in the sand too long. They need to be placed on rock and in a good current path. Do heavy research on the corals you buy and be sure they are placed correctly.

Duddits said:
Thanks. Love my clam. Got him at a great price. As for your frags, don't keep them in the sand too long. They need to be placed on rock and in a good current path. Do heavy research on the corals you buy and be sure they are placed correctly.

I got it don't worry ;) if they are on the sandbed then its a type of brain acan blasto zoa or paly. All my sps frags go on my shelf halfway up the tank.

Plus I just moved and got a bulb change coming up which sent even more corals to a "holding area" lol

Mrc8858 said:
Plus I just moved and got a bulb change coming up which sent even more corals to a "holding area" lol

I gotcha. Well still can't delete old attachments so I can't post new pics. Anyone know why
?

Oh cool.my frogspawn has on head but hes nearly the size of the hammer with 4-5 heads. I love mine :B what bulbs do you use? Im going to showcase mine after I go to fintastic and get another coral. Im only 16 so i am very budget based... VERY. Actually im in dept to my parents by like $3000 just for all the equiptment corals and everything. :D. But they see it as a good responsibility.. I have to maintain the whole thing..

ZacksFlowerhorn123 said:
Oh cool.my frogspawn has on head but hes nearly the size of the hammer with 4-5 heads. I love mine :B what bulbs do you use? Im going to showcase mine after I go to fintastic and get another coral. Im only 16 so i am very budget based... VERY. Actually im in dept to my parents by like $3000 just for all the equiptment corals and everything. :D. But they see it as a good responsibility.. I have to maintain the whole thing..

Great idea by your parents. Wish I had supportive parents like that when I was 16 lol. I am a budget person myself. I've probably only spent $400-$500 so far. I trade and bargain corals and always buy frags. I run a 4 bulb T5 set up. But I dose weekly. My next coral is going to be a hammer and possibly some montipora. I need some reds in my tank lol

Yeah I'm glad they see this in a goodway. I love saltwater tanks. My hammer is definitely one of my favorites!

Is that a green bird wrasse?? Those are cool! J/W

I want to get some monti but I dont know if it will overwhelm my tank.. Ive hear they are easy to frag?

My little 55g reef update

img_2463574_0_c11bfdcb0a7b8d0ec17bd8657f2f981f.jpg

img_2463574_1_068c0d2d5cfd10d40ee70db345ff8c17.jpg

My favorite Zoa, insane rainbow
img_2463574_2_d366e74d2a1924bbbc75a8eb1b6295ba.jpg

My frag basket of goodies
img_2463574_3_bff160ac3be5afbda96e3a8a3177cf31.jpg

Gobstoppers
img_2463574_4_fa28052d184b5956cbda80c319dd9673.jpg

img_2463574_5_62eb352b1311f55dd7644cfe386df464.jpg

I see you've got a sailfin tang in that there 55. I'm not trying to be the tang police or anything but I'm sure you are aware that a 4 foot, 55 gallon tank is much too small for a fish that can reach 15". The only reason why I ask is because I'm curious if your planning for a larger tank in the near future? Looking at what you have done with that 55, I could only imagine what you'd do with a 6 foot tank. You've done a beautiful job. Just be prepared to make arrangements for your live stock.

Yes I've got a large sailfin in my 55g reef. I've already got plans and a build going for either a 180 or 220. Most of my stuff has out grown my current set up and I need to expand. The new tank will have plenty of room for all. Plans will be a 6' tank with a refugium, LED lighting and a more dominant sps tank. Key thing on keeping such a large fish in a, well, small tank is feeding behaviors. He/she is well fed, 3 times a day plus algae sheets and romaine leafs. I can appreciate that you're concerned about the tang and its care. Most people crowd their tanks and the fish suffer. This one will not. I can't wait to set up the new tank and transfer everything over.

Do you still have the yellow tang and fox face? Impressive progress, your tank looks awesome.

Thank you. No the foxface was picking on my zoas so I took him back to my LFS. My yellow tang unfortunately is gone too. He had some kind of gill disease that killed him.

Back
Top Bottom