My 55Gal Sumpless Build

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Hooey9

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
For the most part the entire tank was DIY, I've had Freshwater tanks in the past but decided I wanted to move straight to a reef tank. I spent alot of time reading books, browsing forums, and Google before I put any money into this project.

So I started this tank about 2 1/2 months ago, and with alot of time and money invested heres what we got:

55 Gal Glass Tank
Custom Stand
Sunslighting 4x54w T5HO w/ Timer (Acintics, Whites, Moons)
Marineland 350 Filter (Used with Carbon Filtration)
ViaAqua Multi-Skimmer II, Has UV Sterilizer, Skimmer, and Bio Filtration in 1 Unit
Koralia 4
Marineland Maxi-Jet 1200 (Set for Wave Maker)
65lbs Live Rock
80lbs Live Sand

Fish/Inverts:
2 False Perculas
1 Blue Damsel
1 Yellow Tang
2 Peppermint Shrimp
55-75 Snails/Herms

Corals:
Candy Apple Zoas
Green Zoas
Green Buttons
Brown Buttons
3 Mushrooms (2xRed 1xGreen)
Frogspawn
Purple Kenya
Star Polyps

Feel free to ask questions and let me know how to improve my tank. I like hearing what other people think im doing wrong.

Attachments

• IMG053.jpg
    IMG053.jpg
    252.6 KB · Views: 331
How is it still running any problems would love to run a tank like this without a sump

Nice tank!! I'm also doing a 55gal saltwater but I'm have a dilemma whether to go sumpless or use a 10 gal sump as I don't have the space under my display tank.

Nice tank !! Please keep us informed with updates on your tank I'am also planning on doing a 55g sumpless build .
I was planning on using my marineland 350 filter and buying a Ehiem 2217 canister filter and the same skimmer you are using ,65 lb of live rock and sand .
Do you think the canister filter is necessary or can I just use the marineland.

With a good skimmer and enough rock, you don't really need any other type of filter.

With that said, I'm not familiar with a ViaAqua Multi-Skimmer II. Odds are if it's a 3 in 1 type apparatus, it's probably not the best at any 1 of its functions.

So I wanted to go sumpless on a 55-75 gallon FOWLR maybe reef I could get away having just a really good skimmer and keeping up with my water changes, not over feeding or over stocking the tank?

VinnyP said:
So I wanted to go sumpless on a 55-75 gallon FOWLR maybe reef I could get away having just a really good skimmer and keeping up with my water changes, not over feeding or over stocking the tank?

Yes. Get yourself a good HOB skimmer, enough rock, and you'll be fine.

Could I also run a one or two small filters on the back for water movement on top and run like carbon in one and filter pads in another to clear up and water and get small debre out or is that not needed ?

On the tanks i dont have a sump for I run a hang on filter of some kind or a canister. it can clear up particulate matter that floats around and you can run media in it if you need to like carbon or GFO.....

Wow haven't updated this in a while. Still sumpless!

Changes
Threw away the ViaAqua Multi Skimmer. It was junk.
Purchased a used CPR Bakpak and have loved the results.

Took out 2 of the blue damsels and the yellow tang, were getting picked on by a new clown.

One of the clowns is hosting the feather duster and the other is hosting my Condi.

Added tons of more corals ive been getting deals on here and there. Here is a recent picture, ive also stayed firm on a 15% bi weekly water change schedule and havent seen nitrates higher then 5ppm. Feed every 2-3 days and have had nice coral growth. I will be removing the Marineland 350 soon and going straight Skimmer/LR filtration.

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20120530_193002.jpg
    ForumRunner_20120530_193002.jpg
    65.1 KB · Views: 151
  • ForumRunner_20120530_193037.jpg
    ForumRunner_20120530_193037.jpg
    63.6 KB · Views: 136
You know, the canister won't hurt anything , as long as its kept clean. I ran s 135 tall reef on 2-350's for 5 years. Also had a 125 HOB skimmer. Just used them for micron filtration, for water clarity, and carbon or GFO.

Looks great. it's great you are keeping up with water changes.

I thought I share I few things I learned the hard way.
Corals- GSP, green/brown buttons, Xenia and anthelia's will take over your live Rock in no time. Unless you do want them to. Over the rocks.

Filter- keep it running but Rinse clean in saltwater weekly. Keeps water clear and really helps big time in case something goes wrong and you have to setup a hospital tank.

@Flreefer My water clarity is amazing right now, im running carbon and nitrate pads in my Bakpak

@daney Thank you, I have about 75lbs now.

@Heera Always on top of my water changes. As far as spreading i tried to place them in areas with room if growth continues I will frag them and donate to local reefers.

Heres a picture this morning and nitrates were at 0 but phosphates at .25 might add a clam soon?

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20120531_134345.jpg
    ForumRunner_20120531_134345.jpg
    64.4 KB · Views: 126
And the clown with the feather duster.

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20120531_134842.jpg
    ForumRunner_20120531_134842.jpg
    63.6 KB · Views: 102
Back
Top Bottom