my 75 gallon reef

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

slush

Aquarium Advice Activist
my 75 gallon reef tank in a week i well be having about ten new corals,
picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

If this tank is 1 week old then say goodbye to most or all your coral.

Do you test the water and there readings?

Very nice looking tank. If the LR was already cured then he should be OK. Maybe also he means a week after the cycle.

You have some nice stuff in there, but I suggest you hold off on adding any more coral just yet. Work on getting your nutrient levels down. You have quite the array of algae/cyano/diatoms/dinos growing in your tank. Your corals won't stay happy very long in that high nutrient water.

no way that tank is a week old. I think what he was trying to say was he's getting 10 new corals in about a week.

You have some nice stuff in there, but I suggest you hold off on adding any more coral just yet. Work on getting your nutrient levels down. You have quite the array of algae/cyano/diatoms/dinos growing in your tank. Your corals won't stay happy very long in that high nutrient water.
well all my test readings show everything is fine, you got so tips???

How fine is fine? For starters, what is your nitrate reading, exactly? Phosphate?
What kind of water do you use? tap, ro, ro/di?
How big and how often do you do water changes?
Do you have any powerfilters or canister filters? If so, what media is inside and how often is it changed?
Do you have a protein skimmer? If so, what kind?
What kind of lighting and when was the last time you changed bulbs?

Give us some answers and we can give some suggestions.

i have a prizm skimmer a wetanddry, and a canister filter, i use cemi-pure in them, Phosphate are .2, i do a 10 percent water change every two weeks, i use water that come straight out of the ground, and i have nova extreme light t-5,320 watts about 3 months old

That skimmer is no where near good enough or big enough for a 75.
If 0.2 is really your phosphate reading, that is extremely high. Try running some GFO (granular ferric oxide).
Water out of the ground? I assume you mean well water? I suggest you get yourself a RO/DI unit.

What is your nitrate reading?

here i will go test it, im looking into a new skimmer got any suggestions, i appreciate your help, i think i miss read my phosphate reading im gonna go check it all again

okay my nitrate is .1mg/L and my pos is in between .1 and .2 mg/l is this to high??? my water is well water

Last edited:
I would try testing your well water for phosphates. It may be adding them when ever you do a water change.

okay my nitrate is .1mg/L and my pos is in between .1 and .2 mg/l is this to high??? my water is well water
What brand test kit are you using that will measure nitrate down to 0.1 ppm? If that's a true reading, you don't have a nitrate problem.
But, you do have a phosphate problem. Recommended phosphate level is around 0.05 or less.

As far as a protein skimmer, how much do you want to spend? You can get an Octopus skimmer for your 75 in the $150-$200 range.

yeks thats alot of money i dont have right now, is their another solution just to get me by, my test kits are aquarium system seatest. the lowest reading on the test is .2 mg/l, and it say thats a low phosphate level ahh maybe my test kits are junk, but i really dont have 150 dollars, is ther a diy skimmer

You won't find a skimmer for less than $150 that will be much better than the Prism. The Prism works OK, just keep it clean and adjust it daily.

Work on bringing down your phosphate. Buy some GFO and run it in a reactor if you have 1, and if not, put it in a mesh bag in your sump where it will get a good flow thru it.

You may seriously want to consider a RO/DI unit for your well water. It's probably the best $100 you will spend for your tank.

wheres the best place or where do i get GFO

Back
Top Bottom