My first attempt at a marine tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Richy35

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hi all i'm quite new to this site & thought I'd show you my first attempt at doing a marine setup. It been running now for 11 months. Here's some pics.

Attachments

• image-3374772377.jpg
    image-3374772377.jpg
    62.7 KB · Views: 206
  • image-1141406621.jpg
    image-1141406621.jpg
    65.7 KB · Views: 186
  • image-1054157307.jpg
    image-1054157307.jpg
    67.1 KB · Views: 178
  • image-2336458921.jpg
    image-2336458921.jpg
    66.8 KB · Views: 171
Richy35 said:
Hi all a quite new to this site & thought I'd show you my first attempt at doing a marine setup. It been running now for 11 months. Here's some pics.

Wow how big is it!

Thanks for your pos replies the tank is roughly 36 inch length 15 inch depth & 22 inch on the height

Richy35 said:
Thanks for your pos replies the tank is roughly 36 inch length 15 inch depth & 22 inch on the height

So like 50 somthing gallons?

I think your tank looks fantastic! I really like the Powder Blue Tang. I would love to get one myself, but I know that they are pretty aggressive and prone to ich, so that kind of rules them out for me, lol.

redsea said:
I think your tank looks fantastic! I really like the Powder Blue Tang. I would love to get one myself, but I know that they are pretty aggressive and prone to ich, so that kind of rules them out for me, lol.

Thanks its still a work in progress, I need to get more corals. I think the powder blues are more aggressive to other tangs especially when they get bigger

Are you planning an upgrade for the tang or are you returning him when he gets too big? The minimum tank required for that tang would be a 6 foot tank at say 125g. :-(

Oops, I didn't even see the tank size.

I agree with carey though, your Powder Blue will need a larger tank. They will be even more prone to ich in a smaller tank. Powder Blue's enjoy lots of swimming room as they are very active fish. :)

I know about the tank size for the tang & I will be changing it when it gets a bit bigger. Thanks for the advice anyway ?

I have never attempted sw. I can figure the basic start up, but how have faired in losses. And how offten are u touching Ur tank? Just trying to see if I can think about trying. Thanks

glenn77 said:
I have never attempted sw. I can figure the basic start up, but how have faired in losses. And how offten are u touching Ur tank? Just trying to see if I can think about trying. Thanks

Hi I'll be honest with you, I was a bit scared trying sw, I've kept Malawi cichlids for years. Going sw was the best thing I've done. I've got my own little Eco system in my living room. I've had a few loses nothing major. I hope you have patients because you can't rush it, if you try and rush it I can come back and bite you. I'm doing a 25 litre water change once every two weeks, apart from regular maintenance like cleaning the skimmer collection cup & testing my water once a week, I'm hardly touching it.

CleverBs said:
what are you using for lighting? the tank seems to be rather dark in the corners.

I was using 2 24w 22" t5 white & 2 aquaray blue & white LEDs. I have change 1 t5 to a blue marine today. I was looking for some dark spots because I will be getting some sun corals & they prefer darker spots.

Richy35 said:
I know about the tank size for the tang & I will be changing it when it gets a bit bigger. Thanks for the advice anyway ?de03

I like tangs but I think they should stay in the ocean. Unless its captive breed which I don't think they breed in captivity. I always feel bad when a fish is taken from the ocean. But it doesn't stop me from buying them though. I love my fish and try my hardest to keep them happy.if I was a big swimmer like a tang I would hate to be in even a 1000g tank

Back
Top Bottom