My first reef tank.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

HMInskeep

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Kay so I've been into fish for a while now and have finally crossed over to the reef side. This Is my new Frank-in-tank. So called because it is pieced together from random parts and a hand built canopy.

I started with a used 50 g seaclear system two tank. The only problem was it was missing all the plumbing; hence the 25$ price tag. After researching the tanks online I discovered all I needed was
- return pump 350g/hour
- bio balls
- a media tray ( sold by sea clear for 25$)
- a pre filter holder and filter sleeve ( also available from sea clear for a combined cost of about 50$, with three filters.
-live rock and sand which I had already in my beginners 36 fowlr.
- and some tubing to connect it all.

I know this is not a hobby to get into when ur low on cash, but I was determined to find the solution.

So I found a used 350 gph for twenty bucks at my lfs, bout some light diffusing panels for the filter, some coralife filter media sheets I cut to size. And two gallons of bio balls ( the mist expensive piece I had, at 24.99)
I had some acrylic in my garage which I cut to fit the bio chamber and drilled holes to match the seaclear counterpart.
Total investment so far is about 95$, not bad for a tank that sells for around 400$.
I still need to get a protein skimmer and I'm in the process of building my hood for the completed tank to hide the lights. My fowlr had an original DIY light fixture consisting of an old tripod with braided steel cable and a coralife pc with a 10 k and an actinic. I will post pictures iof progress soon. I'm looking for suggestions on a protien skimmer for this build. I've heard horrible things about the seaclear version and was wondering if anyone had an opinion or suggestion for a DIY version.

The tanks been up and running for a month now, everything seems fine, water is stable, fish and the few corals : frogspawn, leather, brain, and Hollywood stunner all seem to be doing great. There's s guy near by me that feats these dipper cheap and has a very well established 125 g that I have seen. Even still I did put the corals in my 36 g in qt for about a week, just to make sure I dident have any hitch hikers. My fish: clown goby, Colombian shark, scooter blenny, and three damsels have all adapted well the new new rockscape and show no signs of sickness. I'm wondering if a protien skimmer is even necessary. Due to my DIY prefilter, the water is pretty crystal clear when it gets to the bio balls. I would appreciate any input you have or suggestions in what I can do better in this " junkyard build" . I do a 10% wc every week, and a 30% once a month. It always gave good results in the fowlr.

Now some pics of my progression from beginners fowlr to beginners reef.

The original fowlr 36g.

image-3075486966.jpg

One month later with lots more rock

image-1980710766.jpg

Now another few weeks with new DIY light hood

image-4160231693.jpg

The used. Seaclear in my garage with no plumbing.

image-2391832898.jpg

New tank up and running with the DIY parts. ( I dident take a picture of the back before I filled it, sorry. I'll add a pic from the top of the tank soon. )

image-1945498896.jpg

Putting the finishing touches on the hood today, hope to have it on by tomorrow.

Guy with the corals frags super cheap* is what that should have said.

Yea she try's to catch the scooter, I'm afraid she's gonna scratch the acrylic eventually. Speaking of which the used tank has a long, but thin scratch, any one have ideas or tricks to get rid of it besides sanding?

image-3639632699.jpg

Attachments

• image-3543277531.jpg
    image-3543277531.jpg
    65.3 KB · Views: 161
I have a few scrates like that because my previos owner/friend that moved away used a magnet cleaner on the acrylic, and there was a rock stuck in the mag cleaner. So I have a few little circles on my glass. Mine are pretty thin so you have to look in the right light to see them. I do not really know how to fix it though :/

The hood is finished, and for a first try I'd say it's preety nice. No points for neatness inside, but closed it looks great. Total cost-
80$
I used an led rope light coiled in the top of the hood. Was only 16 $ at walmart. The fans are repurposed from a thrift store, I think they were originally for the xbox. Paid 5 $ each
The rest was the light I already had. 50$ from craigslist when I set up the first tank. And wood and stain. The LEDs look awesome and the best part is I get the same effect without the 60+ price tag.

Preliminary construction with led rope light installed.

image-3597515823.jpg

Coralife light with LEDs attached and ready to install.

image-2688827929.jpg

New hood on tank with lid open

image-2313817558.jpg

Finished hood installed with moonlights on

image-132315236.jpg

With actinic

image-2456726146.jpg

And now full spectrum 10k/ actinic

image-1214787080.jpg

Like I said before I had never attempted anything like this before and I am very pleased with how it turned out. I learned allot and I'm now on a first name basis with Ron at Lowes. Made allot of trips there the last few days. Btw the rope light led moonlights were Ron's idea. I guess it's true what they say, Lowes knows.

Back
Top Bottom