New 210 gal

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
It will take longer than 6-8 months for coralline to cover everything. Heck it doesn't even start to grow until about 5-6 months. Also, you will want some fish in with the corals to start. Fish waste helps corals grow :)

Uhhh...it only took a few weeks of scrubbing with a tooth brush to get the coraline to spread ...(could have swore it was you,mr x or Greg that told me to use a toothbrush lol) been a few months and most of my base rock is covered with patches of it...it's not fully covered by any means but I'm pretty sure 6 months and it'll be pretty good

i can def see the ease of using the included wet/dry and converting it to a sump/refugium, but id highly suggest picking up a used 55/75/125 g tank and chambering it. just thinking about a fully stocked 210g reef tank is going to be a HUGE load on that relatively small prefab unit. even a DIY 55g refugium/sump would be a step up from that. not to mention you cn prob sell the prefab and use the money to pay for a DIY setup

Guess it just depends on how much stock you want to put in this bad boy. If your not going to go nuts then you could get away with that sort of sump. But if it was mine, I would try to put the biggest sump under that would fit.... the bigger the filtration.... the less headaches

Ok...so what is being said is a 30-40 gal refugium sump is too small...and a min sump size is 55 but a 100 gal tank is preferred for a tank that is 215 gal...so will a 100 gal tank with a first chamber containing a number of reactors and a large skimmer plus a second large chamber with a large refugium then a bubble trap with last chamber for a return work? Isn't the sump I was describing the same thing just smaller gallon?

Even if you wanted to... you could create another chamber in the 100g for a bacteria pad for BB and maybe some crushed rock in bags.... with my tank I have a sheet of filter media at the very end just before the return. That way if any crap was missed from the chambers in the sump then the filter media would grab it...... just a suggestion

this is how my sump is setup... its 8ft long on a 10ft tank. Both yours and mine are quite large so it might help

1.jpg

Update: got tank home today and got it in its new spot...had a extra surprise when it also came with a T5 light setup already installed in the hoodImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1389836550.708427.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1389836571.155229.jpg
Only problem is it has real bad hard water stains on the insideImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1389836640.766959.jpg
Tried vinegar so far and hasn't made a dent in it...it also has a pretty scratched up back glass on the inside from what I can only assume was a attempt to scrape off coraline algae ... Any helpful ideas for the water stains?

And I wanted to note that although I want this to be a coral tank that all the coral I own is in this 29 gal biocubeImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1389842845.250010.jpg
I was going to dedicate on right side of tank a seperate live rock structure for the coral and large main live rock structure (coral less) on left side... I'm hoping the small amount of coral will be ok for a while with this setup while I search for a larger sump

Just did some math on how many gallons the tank is at 72" L x 24" W x 30" T... 225.87 gallons...10 gallons more than previous owner stated

Following along. Great deal on everything. It is amazing how much people will let things go for sometimes.

Back
Top Bottom