New 210 gal

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Themonsterisme

Aquarium Advice Freak
Getting ready to pick this up this week ...got a amazing deal...tank ..stand..hood and wet/dry sump for $300...all I need is a return pump,skimmer and plumbing..
Now where the heck am I going to put it lolImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1389416202.460415.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1389416214.049037.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1389416224.649642.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1389416235.018782.jpg

****! That's sweet! Put a whole bunch of tangs triggers and puffers In that. Also a bamboo shark

A 210 is pushing it for a shark, and the live rock and play sand would be a no, for the shark

How is a 210 too small for a bamboo shark? A juvenile would be more than fine for years..? And what's the issue with play sand? Do bamboos need a certain type of sand that I don't know about?
Thanks for info

Sharks get very big, a 180 being the absolute bare minimum that wouldn't work well at all with an adult. A 300 is usually best. Sharks need a soft substrate, a coarse one will cut their abdomens

Yea I'm going with a coral tank so my goal is a good size eco system with compatable coral friendly peaceful fish lol ...going to take my time with this tank and get it established with inverts and cuc and let the coral and coraline thrive for a while (maybe 6-8 months)...I want everything purple lol ...plus I want a ATO, multiple probes,refugium flourishing,levels stable,RODI, another 4 eBay full spectrum dimmable LEDs before I feel safe to add fish...wife gave me the ok to upgrade to such a big tank so can't give her a reason to be upset about potentially throwing money away more like it being a investment lol

You might want just a few fish once your cycled, I think coral eats waste. Or you can buy a ton of reef snow

You can put a bamboo in there if you want.... but the above comment is right... they do get quite large and they really love to knock down your LR that you worked so hard to look good and they love to disturb your substrate a lot.

Also... from experience... if your going down this path, you might want to look into a decent filtration setup... they eat a lot of meaty food and their poop is huge.... If you get lazy and decide not to change the water for 2-3 weeks there will be an outbreak of nitrates lol.

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1389681363.677374.jpg
It has a pretty decent size wet/dry sump that will be converted to a refugium...haven't measured it yet but that is a 5 gal bucket in it and a 30 gal Rubbermaid tote under it for size comparison

It will take longer than 6-8 months for coralline to cover everything. Heck it doesn't even start to grow until about 5-6 months. Also, you will want some fish in with the corals to start. Fish waste helps corals grow :)

guess it just depends what you put in the sump.... I had a 10ft long DT with a 6th long sump, set it up with a uv sterilizer, crushed rock, bacteria pads and a refugium and it seemed to work for my tank but nitrates averaged on about 10 and phosphates were a little high that's caused a cyano outbreak... I kinda blame the shark for doing this lol.

It's just that if you set it up with corals and theres a cyano outbreak or high phosphates it can be a problem

Back
Top Bottom