Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Members Saltwater Tanks Showcase
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 09-20-2005, 10:29 AM   #11
Aquarium Advice Addict

Man I am getting nervous now.....

I am no carpentar, and the cherry hood I have is so beautifully made....I couldnt add on...

How much screen do I need? Should I buy a peice of thin acrylic to place under the bulbs to keep them from being splashed or will they just melt...argghhhh...

Old 09-20-2005, 10:30 AM   #12
Aquarium Advice Addict

You're going to need one more to cover that span. At 2' per light fixture you're a good 2' off, especially that close to the water. I have mine about where yours are in a standard Oceanic hood. The hood their in right now they have to be a little closer to the ends (rather than centered in 1/2 of the hood) because of the way the braces in the hood are and even though it is only off by a couple of inches the trained eye sees the dark area in the tank where the light is missing because of the "pinpoint" source of light. It might be less noticable if you'll still be using actinics in there though.

I don't have a problem with heat because of the distance though. I think my mag12 causes more heat issues than the lights. Enjoy!

Join the NJ Reef Club Today! Saving the world's reefs one living room at a time!
MACNA XXI Atlantic City, NJ September 25-27, 2009
Phyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2005, 10:43 AM   #13
Aquarium Advice Addict

So Phyllis your lights are exactly how far off the water?

Do you have splash issues? Are you running 250w? What bulb?

Should I use something other than plywood?

?????????????????????????????????????? BLAH!!
Old 09-20-2005, 10:44 AM   #14
Aquarium Advice Addict

I don't use anything (no glass tops either) under my lights. I don't have jumpy fish so there's really no splash on my lights. It hasn't been a problem... yet!

Join the NJ Reef Club Today! Saving the world's reefs one living room at a time!
Old 09-20-2005, 10:50 AM   #15
Aquarium Advice Addict

D'oh. Somehow I thought you had 2 of them. Yes 3 of them will be perfectly fine! I'm running 2x250 14k Coralvu lights & ballasts on a 4' tank. If it weren't for the fact that my center braces are in 1/3s over my tank it would be perfect. Ballasts are on the floor outside of the stand. I mounted my lights to plywood and then screwed "ends" onto that so that I could screw those ends to the center braces on my canopy. It's working great, but has only been in place for about 3 months.

Old 09-20-2005, 11:31 AM   #16
Aquarium Advice Addict

How far off the water are they exactly?
Old 09-20-2005, 02:29 PM   #17
Moderator Emeritus

How do you maintenace the tank with that little clearance? I know I feel like my arms get a sun tan when I am cleaning the glass. I have touched the bulb and it hurts!

As for adding on, seems like the color and trim might be tough to match but should be doable. I have a 1x6 rectangle top on my tank and my MH canopy sits on top of that. If the boards would have been straight, it would almost be perfect
Old 09-20-2005, 03:14 PM   #18
Aquarium Advice Addict

My canopy top lifts up. When I lift it up the bulbs go with it. I clean it from the outside with a mag-float cleaner so cleaning it from inside isn't usually a problem. My canopy is 6" tall. The bulbs are mounted directly to the canopy and that is placed directly on the tank top. If my bulbs are 4-6" from water I'd say that's all.

I've built a new hood for my tank. Just need to brace it, stain it and mount my lights... I just haven't finished it! It's been at this stage for about two months. Maybe longer!

Old 09-20-2005, 03:27 PM   #19
Moderator Emeritus

Hmmm, my mag float won't get the tough stuff. Maybe I need a stronger one?
Old 09-20-2005, 03:55 PM   #20
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via Yahoo to Hara
maybe HQI bulbs produce more heat...I sure could not put mine 6 inches off the water.

Tags
pics

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com