New 250w Retro MH's (update pics)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
revhtree said:
How much screen do I need?
Hard to say exactly- I would go w/ 5-8 sheets. Remove one layer every 7-12 days depending on how things look. Slower is definitely better in this case.

Ok the lights come in today. I am going to mount them in the canopy and use the screen. if they seem to be too close to the water and produce to much heat, I am going to extend the canopy from bottom up to make it taller...

I'll let you all know! :wink:

Ok the lights are in and looking AWESOME!!! I never knew the difference MH's could make. My tank feels new again...

I am going to acclimate everything by reducing the number of hours the lights are on per day and gradually increasing them. I moved all the sensitive corals to the bottom area of the tank. I turned them on for a little while last night and all the corals opened up great....

Instead of mounting to the canopy top, I used some 1 x 1's to make a skelaton so to speak and mounted them to that. It sits perfect in the tank.

Thanks for all the help! I'll post pics later.

OK, time for s few pics even though they are not that good....

Before MH's.....

img_499004_0_c7cbc0360edeeedd8031e540336d3d32.jpg

After.....

img_499004_1_4ca0f24baeb42b348bf850dda1589b97.jpg

And a few more...

img_499004_2_12fc34c074a5f780bc8f4354767c05a0.jpg

Flash on....

img_499004_3_9a18da91cfebcf8de00b5b0a287df808.jpg

wow your tank looks awesome, that is what i am looking for on my 75 gal 4 ft tank. i have the LR in but looking at your tank, did you place the LR up against the back glass wall. can you take a side shot of your tank from both ends, please

i have my LR from end to end but its more in the middle down the tank. there is room to swim in the back as is in the front. but i dot want to have all my fish (way distant future) to be swimming behind the LR and hiding away. what do you think?

Sweet. Can you summarize what you had before, etc.

Your tank looks much brighter than before. Dont you just love the shimmer the MH's give you as the water ripples on the surface.

Now the 10K question. Now that you have gone MH will you go back?

Rev, you've seriously got one of the best tanks I've seen. I've still got plenty of years to get something like that up and running. Im beginning my plans now (money and drawings) but am hoping in 5-6 years to have a fully sustainable system like yours. Well done!! MH's definately kick butt!!

Sweet. Can you summarize what you had before, etc.

Your tank looks much brighter than before. Dont you just love the shimmer the MH's give you as the water ripples on the surface.

Now the 10K question. Now that you have gone MH will you go back?

FF: Ok I had about 400+ watts of CF's...I love the shimmer it is totally breath taking! Also there is no WAY I would ever go back from MH's....NO WAY!!

Get ready Lando! My tank seemed new to me again. So many colors I didnt even know I had..

Stripes...Thank you very much! What a compliment. It wont take you that long, just keep fragging away... :wink:

Back
Top Bottom