New addition/upgrade 12.5 gallon glass sump

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

lberkman17

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I got with my local premium glass company showed them my plans for my 14.5 x 14.5 x 14 cubic sump. To fit underneath my 27 gallon marineland cube displayImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1396300062.653120.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1396300158.879828.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1396300228.641204.jpg
This design allows my skimmer to fit inside the sump and gives me much more water to supply to my display tank.
Just trying to reduce this yellowish tint my water is giving offImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1396300372.745945.jpg

The water kind of looks like a lighting issue. Your real problem is that tang.....

My tang? What do you mean I had her for a year now no problems I see.

No tang belongs in a nano tank. They get way to big and require more swimming room

I'm assuming your tang is still relatively small <4". It needs a bigger home, it is completely unfair to the fish. They swim miles a day in the ocean. And yes that tang did come from the ocean. Not really fair on the fish to take it from a huge open ocean to a tiny glass box eh?

I was under the impression a 10 gallon are smaller was a nano. Plus I have the additional 12 gallons in the sump. I purchased the powder blue tang as a juvenile fish last April 2013

It doesn't matter if it is a nano or not. That fish requires a 6 foot tank not a foot and a half cube.

I'd seriously contemplate an upgrade for the tang or finding him a bigger home. Once he hits the 5-6" mark you will have problems

About the lights and water I'm running 3 blue actinic T5 and 1 white T5.
Thinking I need to switch out the 1 blue and add another white?

Are you running carbon, with that t5 bulb configuration your water should be a crisp blue not yellow. Also, please don't just ignore the tang, it really does need a much larger home. Ill leave it at that. When was the last time you did a water change?

Not running reactor or carbon. Just skimmer and live rock in sump with cheto

Throw some carbon in the sump, that should help with the yellow. Just a medium bag full in a high flow section.

Yeah throw that in the sump for the time being. When you go to the lfs look for purigen or chemi pure elite. Probably the two best overall chemical filtration units out there.

???huge improvement from last night the carbon is working.ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1396390893.132159.jpg

Back
Top Bottom