New Sea Horses

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Starchar

Aquarium Advice Freak
Here are a couple of pictures from our new pair of sea horses in our Biocube 29.

Tank mates:

(1) Sleeper Goby
(1) Lincka Blue Star
(1) Cleaner Shrimp (very friendly)
Various cleanup crew

Attachments

• IMG_0567.jpg
    IMG_0567.jpg
    168.4 KB · Views: 319
  • IMG_0562.jpg
    IMG_0562.jpg
    98 KB · Views: 319
  • IMG_0565.jpg
    IMG_0565.jpg
    150.5 KB · Views: 336
I aint gunna lie, Im very jealous! They are very cool!!! :D

Here are a couple more photos. Maybe a little less blurry.

Attachments

• IMG_0307.JPG
    IMG_0307.JPG
    174.6 KB · Views: 316
  • IMG_0309.jpg
    IMG_0309.jpg
    141 KB · Views: 304
*flushes fw tank* where are these sea horses and where can i get them lol im in the process of setting up nano reef whats the min for a sea horse?

They are hard to keep, but i would love to see like a 90 gal tank full of seahorses. It would be expensive and difficult but beautiful IMO

Most of the normal sized seahorses should be in at least a 30G tank, people shove them into small into small tanks because they're not too active.

They eat copepods as well, so training them on to prepared foods is a good idea, most of the difficulty from seahorses is their fragility and tank necessities that people fail to adhere to. Low-flow, somewhat tall tanks, essentially species only since other fish will outcompete for food and stress the horses from swimming around quickly.

These are H. Kudas and a pair is recommended for 25+ gallon tank. Most others take larger tanks. I am not expert but I have done a ridiculous amount of reading and researching prior to getting them.

These are Captive Bred (not net bred and then moved to a tank) and Tank Raised. They have been eating frozen foods most of their life. Many of the Wild Caught have not and will refuse anything except live food. I can supplement brine and even ghost shrimp based on the size of these two horses. Dwarf Seahorses are difficult to raise because they only eat live baby brine and need to be feed several times a day.

You basically have to have a species specific tank as they are not fast swimmers and have difficulty competing against even passive fish for food.

There is quite a bit of information at Seahorse Organisation. Keeping and Breeding Seahorses in the home aquarium..

Back
Top Bottom