New to the saltwater reef tank hobby.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Ken680428

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have been building and keeping freshwater tank for around 10 years. But I always wanted to try a saltwater tank. But everybody I asked about saltwater tanks said they were too expensive and that you need a 40 gallon or larger setup for it to work. I live in a small basement apartment and have no room or the budget for such a large setup.

Then I found out and researched about nano and pico setups. So I bought a Fluval Spec V 5 gallon tank and all the equipment and started my first nano saltwater reef tank. That was about 4 months ago and the tank is up and running and fully stocked and beautiful to look at.

After that successful nano setup, I had found a spare 2.5 gallon tank with heater and filter in my storage. So I bought the rest of the required equipment and set that up about 2 months ago and it is up and running and partially stocked.

Since that pico setup was successful, I bought a 1 gallon tank and all the required equipment and setup another pico reef tank setup. It is currently 1 week into the Nitrogen Cycle so it will be a while before I can stock it.

5 gallon nano setup:

- Fluval Spec V 5 gallon tank with it's built in filter system converted to a built in Refugium
- 4 watt Daylight LED Bulb for the built in Refugium
- Aqualife 50 watt heater
- Coralife Biocube in tank skimmer
- Coralife Biocube Powerhead
- Zoo-Med Digital Thermometer
- Current USA Orbit Marine 18"-24" Reef LED Lighting System
- Marina 0.8 gallon HOB Breeder Tank with a 85GPH Pond Pump used as a HOB Refugium
- Current USA 6 watt clamp on LED Lamp used for the HOB Refugium

2.5 gallon pico setup:

- PetSmart 2.5 gallon standard rectangular tank
- Zoo-Med Digital Thermometer
- Exo Terra Micro Terrarium Lamp Hood with a Coralife 50/50 10000K/450nM 20 watt PC lamp and DIY fan cooling system added
- Top Fin 10 gallon in tank filter converted to an in tank Refugium and for water flow as well
- 53GPH pond pump used as a powerhead
- Aqualife 50 watt heater
- Marina 0.7 gallon Breeder Tank with an air pump used as a HOB Refugium
- 4 watt Daylight LED Bulb used for the Marina Breeder HOB tank

1 gallon pico setup:

- Big Al's house brand glass 1 gallon cubed tank
- standard glass in tank thermometer
- Marina 8 watt in tank heater
- Big Al's house brand 5 gallon in tank filter with spray bar for mechanical filtration as well as used as a powerhead
- Marina 0.7 gallon Breeder Tank with an air pump used as a HOB Refugium
- 4 watt Daylight LED Bulb used for the Marina Breeder HOB tank
- DIY PC Lamp with a 10 watt 50/50 PC Bulb

As soon as I can find a site to host my photos I will add a link to this thread

5 gallon nano reef tank.
img_3294647_0_9d08bb3c84cc3205a4755608aac1836a.jpg

Back
Top Bottom