Octopus Released w/pics!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kalani

Aquarium Advice Regular
I went out today to collect fish and I happen to catch a young octopuss. It's a little bigger than the palm of my hand. Does anyone know how to care for it? I had it acclimating for about 2hrs before I put it in the tank. So far he's looking okay. He's shifting my rocks around and had dug a hole under one of my rocks. What precautions if any should I take or how should I care for it? Oh, and what should I feed it? TIA

The only thing I know is they will eat nearly everything in your tank and are very prone to escaping, even through very tiny spaces.

Yes, even fish. They will catch and kill pretty much everything in your tank, I'd remove it ASAP.

They are also very prone to escapse as already mentioned. They can squeeze through any hole there beak can fit through.

I posted a link a few weeks back about getting an octopus, here is a link if you're interested in reading it: Octopus link

Okay guys. After reading extensively on topics concerning octopusses, I have come to the conclusion on getting a Eclipse System 12 aquarium and make it a " Species Only" tank. I didn't think it was that hard to keep a octopus but sheesh, he's gonna need a lot of TLC. I think that 18gallon tank should be okay. It's pretty much sealed and I hope he doesn't try to lift the hood. I'll setup pics. By the way, do you know how long it can stay out of water before it perishes?

It's also worth knowing they don't live much more than a year. And yes it will learn to lift the hood to escape.

Atari is right, they will only live about a year (well at least all species that can be kept in tanks). No matter how good of care you give it, after a certain period of time it will either release sperm or eggs (determined by sex) and die. This is the turnoff I have for keeping them, I dont want disposable fish :drain:

True. But what the hell :wink: I'll give it a try. When it dies, i'll throw it on a hook and send it out as bait. lol. Pics coming soon after my battery charges. Sushi anyone?

Sorry, I can not read this without comment. Everyone here is right. They do not live long, they will eat everything in your tank and they are wonderful escape artists. Most end up on the floor all dried up. They are active at night when we are sleeping so the chances of you finding it before it dies are not good. Honestly, the best thing to do is to bring it back to the ocean. The correct order is to research new additions before you put them in your tank, not after. Additions to our tanks should not be considered "disposable". If you do decide to keep it, I wish you and the octopus luck...Lando

not all are nocturnal !! and not all live for a year !! with out knowing what kind he got it hard to say !! some live a long time and will grow real big !! make sure it dont have blue rings lololol not sure if they come from there or not !! i would play it safe and never hold it with out gloves :) but cool find and good luck with him cant wait for a pic :)

I totally agree with lando. I don't think that you have the right attitude for keeping this species. I would LOVE to have an octopod, but knowing how extremely difficult they are to keep in captivity, I would never get one and say "If it dies, oh well." I wish you all the luck with the octopus, but I really think that the best thing to do would be to take it back to the ocean...

BlueDolphin said:
I don't think that you have the right attitude
Whoa.. let's take a step back here. I'm pretty sure you can't tell enough about a person from a couple of posts in a forum to make that kind of call.

Concern for animal well-being is one thing, but we shouldn't have to get personal to express our opinions :wink:

and what about the ink? the ink can kill it right? or dose that kill every thing else? i forget but i know there was some thing about the ink

It would have to feel very threatened to release ink, but yeah if a rather large water change wasn't done in a hurry it would be harmful.

Hey guys. I guess the majority thinks that it is very hard to keep a octopus. I've been reading a forum on TONMO.com about information on caring and captivity of these creatures. Majority has had success with captivity for at least 2 years. I know that I shouldve at least did some research but when ur out there collecting and come across something that is so amazing, its very hard not to resist. Ive read that the ink is not toxic and it's just a smoke screen for escape. Though some fish could suffer from asphyxiation because of poor filtration, but nothing really harmful from the ink.

I hope I havent offended anyone with this thread. I'm just a newbie looking for advice, Thanks guys.

Keep us posted and give us some pics!!

Ive always wanted one, but dont think I have the experience to keep one. I wish you all the luck.

Back
Top Bottom