Our Boyu T550 - 129l reef "nano"

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Pepsi

Aquarium Advice Regular
We bought this second hand, so the rock, fish and coral all came with the tank. After 6 weeks, this is how far we've come.

Fish: One Clarkii clown adopted from previous owner

Clean up crew/ inverts:
Blue starfish
Boxer shrimp
Urchin
Conch
Emerald crab
Hawaiian feather duster
Several hermit crabs
Miscellaneous snails (including 3 tiger snails)

Gonna be adding more coral soon, don't know what yet. Suggestions welcome!

After that we'll start putting fish in. Waiting for the CUC to get rid of the remaining algae before we start thinking stock list. :)

Attachments

• image-4250464722.jpg
    image-4250464722.jpg
    150.2 KB · Views: 157
Nice! Welcome to the reef side of the hobby! Just to share with you incase you don't know, that clarkii will probably outgrow the tank and can get mean. May want to rehome him. Also, the blue linckia star can be tough, keep water parameters pristine and make sure it doesn't get injured, I've seen healthy ones go downhill very quickly. Are you running a skimmer? That will help with your algae a lot better than your cuc.

Like I said, we adopted the Clarkii, he's been in there for the last two years. I would get rid of him and get a pair of ocellaris instead but I don't know anyone who would take him off us. I did say to the other half the starfish is gonna be hard work, but he loved the colouring so I'm keeping my fingers crossed. We only got him today, along with the feather duster and urchin.

We're still doing 20% water changes weekly and the tank came with a skimmer. Thinking of upgrading it though, not sure how well it's working, because we're not seeing a lot of waste in the cup, but then again we only have one fish!

Like I said, we adopted the Clarkii, he's been in there for the last two years. I would get rid of him and get a pair of ocellaris instead but I don't know anyone who would take him off us. I did say to the other half the starfish is gonna be hard work, but he loved the colouring so I'm keeping my fingers crossed. We only got him today, along with the feather duster and urchin.

We're still doing 20% water changes weekly and the tank came with a skimmer. Thinking of upgrading it though, not sure how well it's working, because we're not seeing a lot of waste in the cup, but then again we only have one fish!

True sounds like you are off to a good start! I just didn't know if you knew how large clarkiis can get but glad you do :). If the star is eating and moving around and not looking like it is melting you are doing well. Yep keep up on the water changes and you may want to run some phosphate remover if you aren't already.

How big does the Clarkii get? My research says it requires a minimum tank size of 30 gallons and my tank is 129 litres (approx 34 US gallons by my calculations) I thought he'd be OK in there.

They can get all of 6" and aggressive. We have one in our coral tub at my pet store and it is huge. Just my opinion but if they decide to get territorial in that size tank none of your other fish will be happy.

You could probably take the clarkii to your lfs and they should take him. They may even give you store credit for him.

I will ask, though I don't think they do that in the UK....

Haven't asked yet, but I have found a local forum. I might be able to sell him to someone local

The tuxedo urchin has done grand job getting rid of the algae on the backboard. Water change day today, but no new livestock yet. Gonna take it nice and slow, with Christmas coming up, I'm curbing his spending on the tank! :lol:

The tuxedo urchin has done grand job getting rid of the algae on the backboard. Water change day today, but no new livestock yet. Gonna take it nice and slow, with Christmas coming up, I'm curbing his spending on the tank! :lol:

That's why I'm sitting about all day and night nobody wants work doing before Christmas. I will follow this page as you are new, I can learn a few things along the way, best of luck.

Right, so I have someone coming to collect the Clarkii today. Here's my preliminary stock list:

Royal gramma
Purple dottyback
Banggai cardinal or long spine cardinal
Blue/green reef chromic
Fire fish
Scooter blenny
2 x ocellaris

Is that too many? Apart from the clowns which are a must have, I'm open to comments and suggestions.

Thanks!

I have also found someone fragging Kenya tree and pulsing Xenia coral and giving frags away for free. Anything I need to know regarding care of these corals?

Right, so I have someone coming to collect the Clarkii today. Here's my preliminary stock list:

Royal gramma
Purple dottyback
Banggai cardinal or long spine cardinal
Blue/green reef chromic
Fire fish
Scooter blenny
2 x ocellaris

Is that too many? Apart from the clowns which are a must have, I'm open to comments and suggestions.

Thanks!

I'd skip the scooter, they require a specific diet of pods. Chromis are schooling but tend to kill each other so I'd pass on them too. Other than that I think you are ok just make sure the dottyback and gramma are added at the same time so they don't fight. Add the firefish first. Kenya tree and Xenia are super easy, just be ready for both to spread at plague speed.

I was only planning on getting one chromis as I knew that unless you had a big tank to actually house a proper "school" they will just keep killing each until there's only one left. So I shouldn't just get the one? Shame, coz I really like the colour. :fish2:

What about a goby? The only thing I'm worried about it that they're jumpers. Even with the lid down, there's a gap between the tank and back chambers. I don't particularly want to find a goby in the back chambers... Besides, the other half constantly opens the lid to check this that and the other, I don't want a fish on the floor either....:ermm:

Back
Top Bottom