Particles in my tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Ferny27

Aquarium Advice Activist
Guys I have a 150 gal with a coral life pump , 2 overflows two power heads. I recently am having a huge problem. I have particles of stuff floating around my tank all the time. I have no idea where they came from. I had two aquarium service companies come and try to fix and still can't figure out the problem. Can you guys help

I dose magnesium

Calcium
Iodine
Fuel
And purple up everyday

I dose magnesium

Calcium
Iodine
Fuel
And purple up everyday

And that's your problem calcium precipitation stop dosing and test calcium,ph and alkalinity... Read the purple up directions posted below....you need to know your calcium, alkalinity, ph and magnesium if your adding it. You do not usually need these supplements if you make regular water changes unless you have a lot of coral using this stuff up between water changes...ect....!!!!!! do not dose anything you cannot test..

Shake well before use! Add 1 capful (5ml) per 50 gallons no more than once daily. Place in the sump, near a powerhead outlet, or any high flow area of the system for rapid dispersal. Purple uptm will cause some temporary cloudiness. Check calcium levels regularly. Adjust dosage of purple uptm to maintain calcium levels between 380 ppm and 420 ppm (380 mg/l to 420 mg/l). Do not exceed 420 ppm on a regular basis or significant precipitation will occur. (important! Wait at least 1 hour after using purple up to test calcium levels or erroneously high calcium levels may be indicated.)

http://www.caribsea.com/itempage_bluesolutions_purpleup.htm

I test for all of these , but I do put more then the necessary of purple up. This might be the problem . My calcium level is at 400 right now . I do have a lot of coral thus why I was dosing soo much. I'm going to stop for two weeks. My maitenance is this Friday . Should i do a big water change ?

I would do your regular maint....and stop dosing and see results, I would make sure my parameters are in range....I would not add anything I could not test...

Also I noticed that I would have precipitation during water changes if added salt first then poured the water on top of the salt. So now I add the salt to the water as needed... Instead of adding say the 5 cups of salt and pouring water on top of it which will cause precipitation add the 5 cups of salt to the 5 gallons of water...Does this make sense??? Hope this helps

Is there something I can buy to take these dam particles out of my water!!!!!!!!!

I tried filter floss a bunch of that stuff, I'm firing my maintenance guy ASAP . And sorry didn't know that was a bad word

I can only think of 3 things... As said before Calcium precipitation but it could also be micro-bubbles or sand blowing!! turn off all filters, skimmer and power heads for approx. 30-45 mins. and see if particles or micro bubbles disappear... can you get a good pic.. of particles floating and post. How old is your tank has it always had particles? If its a new setup and you used dead sand without rinsing that could be your problem....

In also on top of that have micro bubbles... I just called my guy that cleans my tank and yelled at him. I had 3 companies come to my house an try to fix the issue . So I really have to problems . I actually stopped the calcium when you told me to. I did a water change as well. I re did all the plumbing , I changed my pump . I don't know what else to do. I'm calling another company tomorrow to take a look at it.

How old is your tank has it always had particles? If its a new setup and you used dead sand without rinsing that could be your problem....

Actually I bought 4 month ago from a person that had it 4 years. I don't think she ever changed the sand . I kept the same sand , but the problem started this month .

I'm stumped, But more info may help, if you can explain your setup, take pics. of your setup and particles seen in the tank then post that might help a little more.... size tank, type, size of filters and power heads, sump design ect...

Here you go

Attachments

• image-2704049566.jpg
    image-2704049566.jpg
    169.8 KB · Views: 73
  • image-3607760128.jpg
    image-3607760128.jpg
    154.5 KB · Views: 89
  • image-2495702400.jpg
    image-2495702400.jpg
    143.8 KB · Views: 92
  • image-3101547349.jpg