Paul's 40 Gallon Reef

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

paul87

Aquarium Advice Addict
Ok, so as some of you may know I currently have a 38 gallon that I will be transferring to this new 40 breeder I picked up from Petco since they had the $1 per gallon sale. I know its only 2 gallons more but the footprint is so much better for a reef tank. Plus my old tank has sone scratches on the glass and I will finally be able to get that chysus wrasse out and rescape during the process. I will be starting on the stand as soon as I can get to it and will keep everyone updated. I'm gonna try to go a little more SPS this time around, but will be keeping most of my current coral. Stay tuned...

Cant wait to see what you do with this tank paul. Following along!

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Lumber acquired. Now if this rain would hold off! Had big plans on building the stand today. Go to check the weather and its a 90% chance of thunderstorms untill 4:00. :nono:

So I managed to get most of the frame pieces cut before the rain. Man I wish I had a garage for this! Originally I was planning on leaving the tank open top. I already have the light suspended from the ceiling. Just some ideas going through my head, I may try a canopy on this build and eliminate the cables from the ceiling, not sure yet. Also I as planning on painting the stand black, but I have seen some white ones that look very nice. The only way I would do it up in white though is if I do the canopy because the tank trim is black and I would like it to be uniform. Decisions decisions...

Decided I wasn't gonna let the rain get me down today. I did my work in tight quarters in my shed. I got the frame done. Its alittle more solid that I planned, but hey guess that's a good thing. I'm probably gonna reuse the doors off of the 38 because they turned out perfect. I will also be using the overflow box, and y-check valve from it as well. All I need it to get some new bulkheads. Here's where it stands as of now. (no pun intended) :)

zekac3s.jpg

Here is where it went down. LOL

1JHpNSP.jpg

Thanks guys! Its coming along nicely. Ordered my bulkheads in today and got the stand all built. Just gotta puddy, sand, & paint. I will be reusing the doors off my 38 stand because they turned out perfect. Already test fitted them

PROGRESS...
tAB7cCk.jpg

VzoRvRi.jpg

H68DGA2.jpg

Nothing wrong with making it stronger than you need. I always worried about the stand for my 75 gallon tank because it was store bought and looked flimsy. Now i make all my own stands.

Stand looks great by the way paul!

Thanks! I didn't have alot of time today to work on it. I did get the trim patched and ready to sand. Gonna caulk a little on it then get to painting. Bulkheads should be in Monday also so I need to get on drilling this tank! Still haven't decided if I want to do a canopy or not. My light is about 9"-10" above tank so that would probably make a tall, unattractive canopy.

Nothing wrong with making it stronger than you need. I always worried about the stand for my 75 gallon tank because it was store bought and looked flimsy. Now i make all my own stands.

Yea, most of those aquarium stands I see for sale in the store make me cringe. And the price is ridiculous.

I may start building my own stands to. I agree the prices in the stores are ridiculous for what you get. I did however find a 29 gallon stand made out of solid wood for $99.00 on sale at Petco. I ordered online and I thought that price was a steal.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I may start building my own stands to. I agree the prices in the stores are ridiculous for what you get. I did however find a 29 gallon stand made out of solid wood for $99.00 on sale at Petco. I ordered online and I thought that price was a steal.

Sounds like a good price for a premade, but why a 29 when you have a 40? Or was this for another tank? I think all together I have about $30 in my stand and all I gotta do is sand and paint. I already had hinges, plywood, and all necessary tools also though. You cannot beat that.

Sounds like a good price for a premade, but why a 29 when you have a 40? Or was this for another tank? I think all together I have about $30 in my stand and all I gotta do is sand and paint. I already had hinges, plywood, and all necessary tools also though. You cannot beat that.

No you can't beat that Paul. I bought the stand for the 29 gallon that I have at work. The 29 is one of the tanks that I'm transferring into the 40. I'm going to bring it home and rebuild the 29 to have a built in overflow box. The 29 will house my snowflake eel, a cinnamon clown and a lawnmower blenny that are currently in a 20 galln long in my office at work. I will also bring the 20 gallon long home and rebuild that one and use it as a frag tank. I may try building a stand for the 20.

No you can't beat that Paul. I bought the stand for the 29 gallon that I have at work. The 29 is one of the tanks that I'm transferring into the 40. I'm going to bring it home and rebuild the 29 to have a built in overflow box. The 29 will house my snowflake eel, a cinnamon clown and a lawnmower blenny that are currently in a 20 galln long in my office at work. I will also bring the 20 gallon long home and rebuild that one and use it as a frag tank. I may try building a stand for the 20.

Very cool!

I think the white would be very nice.

Yea I've seen some really nice white ones. It is now completely ready to be painted. I'm currently leaning towards black because the trim on the tank is black and I already have enough black paint. Hopefully I will have time to paint it tomorrow. :)

Back
Top Bottom