Ph 8.8 (saltwater)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

amosora

Aquarium Advice Activist
Any advice you can give me to put the ph to 8.2 (right?) It's been 2 days already :-( should i be worried? Thanks in advance

Kent Marine Sea Buffer. It will lower your PH to 8.3. Follow the directions on the jar and you should be fine. And consider doing a water change with fresh salt, let it sit but aerated, and then test it's ph.

Also, how are you testing your PH? Titration kits are sometimes hard to read, and can be unreliable even with the best technique. Probes are the only way to get a truly accurate measurement.

I would leave it. Make sure that it stays stable though, because fish can adapt to different phs but not to fluctuating phs.

@ uh...oh i used api test kit.

@ slitherbomb thanks a lot

I'm new in this hobby. I'm reading from sites & learning a lot. Thanks again

I'm not sure a ph of 8.8 is healthy for a reef environment, but it may not be unhealthy either. Definitely check the ph of your salt, before you add it. If its on the low side, then I'd be concerned about whats going on. If its on the high side, as most mixed salts tend to be, then just research the effects of an elevated ph on your subjects. Most fish can live, as slither said, within a wide range of ph. Get your LFS to test your water too, just to make sure its not your test kit. My own nitrate kit was expired, or at least in some way defective, and was giving me readings off the chart. I bought a new one and it measured 20ppm. Go figure.

Back
Top Bottom