Porc Chop's Tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Hondatek said:
My water level has risen in my return section of the sump . Is that because the salt is still mixing or do I need to take some water out of the display?

It's both. The mass of the salt was great enough to increase the water level. Just like as if you were to place your arm into the tank. The water lvl would rise.

Ok I'll let it just run for 2 days then check my salt levels and readjust the water level then. It should be enough time for all the salt to dissolve

Hondatek said:
Ok I'll let it just run for 2 days then check my salt levels and readjust the water level then. It should be enough time for all the salt to dissolve

If you have power heads or pumps it'll be done in a day.

Hondatek said:
Ok was in the Lfs and I seen a 6 inch blue tang and now I'm really torn on my future stocking plans since I also really want a powder brown. Are they even compatible ?
If they are then my stock would be
Porc puffer
Dwarf lion
Dwarf angel
Maroon clown
Blue tang
Powder brown tang
And if I can add another a racoon butterfly
Is that overstocked? I know I have been going back and forth with this list but any help would be appreciated. Thanks

Lol you aren't over stocked at all. I'd change the dwarf lion fish into s Volition lion and the dwarf angel into a Lamarack's Angel. Youve got space for the blue tang as long as they don't fight. Also I'd add a Niger trigger but hey that's just me. And you'd not be overstocked as this is a 180g and there's plenty of space for them to roam.

I'm still really up in the air with my stocking. I thought about the trigger but I don't want anything to hurt my puffer . Also I got the dwarf lion a month ago. I'm leaning towards the puffer and lion of course and just the tangs and raccoon butterfly.

Hondatek said:
I'm still really up in the air with my stocking. I thought about the trigger but I don't want anything to hurt my puffer . Also I got the dwarf lion a month ago. I'm leaning towards the puffer and lion of course and just the tangs and raccoon butterfly.

That's only 5 fish in a 180g. And 3 of them don't get large at all. I'm sure you can add other fish such as anthias or small Angelfish. Even rabbitfish

I know it does seem odd only 5 fish . I'm allways looking at fish so I know I'll find more I like eventually .

I left my skimmer off since I have heard it is counterproductive to the cycle process. Is that true ? Should I turn it on ?

Hondatek said:
I left my skimmer off since I have heard it is counterproductive to the cycle process. Is that true ? Should I turn it on ?

You can leave it on so it can break in. But don't run in FW

Ibrahim said:
You can leave it on so it can break in. But don't run in FW

It will probably drop the water level in my sump when I turn it on later so I might not need to take water out the display.

Hondatek said:
It will probably drop the water level in my sump when I turn it on later so I might not need to take water out the display.

It will but not by much. Evaporation will make it drop on it's on.

Just got home from work and salinity is 1.017. Am I ok to add more or should I wait another day?

Hondatek said:
Just got home from work and salinity is 1.017. Am I ok to add more or should I wait another day?

Add a bit more salt but not too much and wait a few hours. Dissolving it in a different bucket should be faster

Maybe like 5 cups of salt? I have no clue on the formula for how much to add. Can I turn my skimmer on even though its not at the full salt?

Its gonna take a lot more then 5 cups to raise 1.017 in a 180 what is your target. If its 1.024 then it will take quite a bit

Yea my target is 1.024. I just realized my heater isn't working that great and I am at 70 degrees. So I'm going to get a new one tonite. I have a whole 50 gallon bag of salt. It says it takes half a cup to make one gallon of water 1.023.but i don't know how to figure that all out in my head.

Back
Top Bottom