Rico45's 55 gallon reef

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Rico45

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have a 55 gallon reef with an Aquatic life t5 ho double bulb light, about 60lbs of live rock and some soft corals. I have some questions though. I've had the corals about 1 year and they haven't grown at all. The corals include: zoas, green star polyp, leather, candy cane, pulsing Xenia, mushrooms. My levels are:
Salinity: 1.025
Phosphate: 0
Nitrate: 40
Nitrite: 0
Calicum: 400
Magnesium: 1250
So does anybody know why nothing has grown?

Another thing that I noticed besides the high trates are the lighting set up you're using. For the corals you listed besides the mushrooms which don't really need the best lighting but a 4 bulb t5HO system or better would be beneficial. IMO

I added a breeding pair of clarkii clowns

image-3821405990.jpg

Pic of the whole tank.

image-3455605205.jpg

I like the rock work. It looks really good. Do I see 3 clowns? If so it's best to remove one when they pair up they will attack the third or fight for the nem down the road if you get one after your tank matures obviously.

Okay but there is 4 clowns. I have a black saddle back clown occelaris clown and the 2 clarkii clowns. Here's a pic of all of them

image-1451969137.jpg

Do you think they will still fight? I've had the breeding pair in for about a week now and haven't notice any fighting.

I haven't thought about getting an anemone because I didn't want it to kill my other corals by sitting on top of them. I was thinking of using another coral, like a torch coral, for them to host. What do you think?

+1 on the need more lighting. An anemone yes has the chance to move and kill corals if you are wanting a reef tank would avoid nems IMO. Calcium is a little low, magnesium is a little low. What is your alk?

My alk is 9

New polyp colony I got today. Only been in the tank for about 2hr.

image-1499249930.jpg

Back
Top Bottom