Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Members Saltwater Tanks Showcase
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 02-09-2005, 10:06 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak

RO unit installed. Thoughts & pics

I decided to purchase an RO/DI unit. I had done the math and it will save me soooo much money in the long run, be on hand if I have an issue and a lot more convenient than driving to the LFS and stocking up and carrying 5gal containers upstairs every few weeks.

I went with filtersdirect on ebay (as per a recommendation from someone on this forum) and i was very pleased with them and the product. $90 + $20 shipping. I also picked up a 160gal bucket of Instant Ocean salt $43 shipped.

The install was simple, the only 3 things you need to really do that require any effort.

1. hang the unit. I used 2 dry wall anchors and screws.
2. (optional) drill a 1/4" hole in your pvc drain for the waste water to run out (the black thing around the PVC is what holds the hose in place that runs into the 1/4" hole.
3. decide how to want to get the water to the unit. I am going to use a faucet diverter, so that i can turn the water on to have it run normally or have it go directly to the RO/DI unit.

Thats about it. FYI, the blue hose is for the clean water, the black is for the waste water and the red is the inbound water from your sink/source.

Jim

Old 02-09-2005, 10:09 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Freak

I bought that exact same unit and installed it last night. I am using the faucet adapter as well and am pretty happy with it. The one thing I was surprised about is the ratio of waste water to "pure" water. How much waster water is produced for 1 gallon of "good" water?

Old 02-09-2005, 10:11 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

Looks very nice! Do you have a container to run your filtered water into? I have mine running into a 30 gal. rubbermaid tub. Kent makes an auto-stop float valve that I installed on mine to turn the waer off automatically. Might be an option. Nice Job...kudos for getting a RO/DI unit!
Old 02-09-2005, 10:13 AM   #4
AA Team Emeritus

Lando, does the Kent float cut off any RO/DI unit?

"Life may not be the party we hoped for but while we are here we might as well dance!"

austinsdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2005, 10:14 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
How much waster water is produced for 1 gallon of "good" water?
I think you use about 4-5gal of water to produce one gal of filter water. In the summer my waste water goes into buckets and I use it to water the flowers and bushes outside. In the winter, it pretty much goes down the drain.
Old 02-09-2005, 10:21 AM   #6
AA Team Emeritus

Quote:
waste water goes into buckets and I use it to water the flowers and bushes outside
Never thought of that one. Good.

I'll give it to my wife for indoor plant waterings too in the winter.

"Life may not be the party we hoped for but while we are here we might as well dance!"

austinsdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2005, 10:24 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Lando, does the Kent float cut off any RO/DI unit?
I believe it will. There is a sensor that hooks up to the DI membrane and float valve that goes in the collection container.
Old 02-09-2005, 10:34 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice Freak

Lando, I believe you are correct about 4 gal of "waste" per every 1 gallon of pure water.

I was thinking of the float switch. I am using a 25 gal rubbermaid container but wasn't sure how the foat switch would "rig up". Would I just need the float valve and run it to the existing shut off on the RO/DI unit?

Here's a pic...
http://thatpetplace.com/images/p6696b.jpg

Thanks!
Jim
Old 02-09-2005, 11:16 AM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

Just drill a hole in the tub and put the float on the inside. There is a bolt-like looking thing that sticks though the hole and ends up on the outside of the tub. This is what your water output line screws to. Let me know if you want pics.
Old 02-09-2005, 11:25 AM   #10
Aquarium Advice Freak

Thanks Lando................so let me be sure I'm clear, the blue hose that delivers the clean water connects to the float valve and when the water triggers the float valve, it stops the RO/DI unit. Can you confirm this? If that's all there is to it, it's simple. I thought it had to tie back to the unit somewhere.

Thanks in advance for the good advice..........I'm sitting here anxiously awaiting my lr.com order............should be here by 12pm..........

I'll post pics when i get it.

Jim

Tags
led, pics, ro unit, stall, unit

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com