Rock Has Arrived

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Thumper

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I'll post some pics later but for now busy with the rock. Allready found one HUGE mantis shrimp dozens of star fish,crabs,snails shrimp and still in the first of 4 boxes I'll post more later. this is like xmas morning.LOL

Pics! :)

One thing that really excites me about getting a bigger tank is that I can buy a few boxes of LR online and see what I get. Picking out LR at the LFS is so boring. I swear all of the stores around here pick all of the cool things off the live rock before customers get to buy it :D

I want to see too!

I agree, I think we are going to drive to LR.com here in Florida to get mine if they allow... everything here in Jacksonville looks like base rock... nothing, , no color, no visible life, natta, zilch! And at $8.99 lb they aren't getting my money. ICK!

...Besides... a good excuse for the hubby and I to get a weekend away before the new baby comes .. hehehe!

Pictures soon right?!
Kimberly

My camera battery is charging. I had no Idea that this stuff would have came with this many live critters on it. Ended with with several mantis shrimp, lots of stars, shrimp of which I have no idea on the I.D. and I have a tub full of crabs that I cant id as well. I didnt dip the rock, just dumped it in the tank

I just got 30 lbs today also. DHL delivered about 11:00am, But a half dozen dead crabs and shrimp in the bottom of the bag anyway. Guess flying to denver in feb may have been to cold. Amazing how much life is there though. I found two ghost shrimp and put them right in my Fuge.
One little crab that I saw ran into the rock even deeeper and I couldn't get him out. Probably many more.
:D :D :D :D :D

We looked it over pretty good and pulled out/ off what we could see. I know their were a ton of critters that made it in the tank but I just decided to not dip the rock and contend with the stuff at a later point. I cant belive how many feather dusters and the like that are on their rock. I got 4 60 pound boxes = 240 pounds
Whats the best way to ID the crabs that I have?
I'm going to the lfs to get some more snails and hermits. What is the best recomendation for the hermits?
I told Mike at liverocks.com that I wanted a few big pieces and boy did we get some. I got one rock that I bet was 35 pounds and perfectly fit around one of my overflows. It was L shaped and I got another that was close in weight that was over 2 feet in lenght. I'll keep you posted.

I'm going to the lfs to get some more snails and hermits. What is the best recomendation for the hermits?

Wait a few days on this for the tank to stabilize a bit from all of that new rock, then go for small clean up crew to start.

We bought our clean up crew at www.reeftopia.com. They all survived the shipping quite nicely and the price was good. If you buy over a certain amount shipping is free. Should be easy enough to do with your tank. Just wait a week or so for things to settle down first.

As for your shrimp, if he had one claw bigger than the other he was a pistol (and they make a single popping sound). The crabs... the red ones are nasty coral eating buggers. I had to pull out 5 of my 6. The 6th one seems to have learned from the mistakes of others and leaves the corals alone now! Enjoy!!

Stupid question but how do you post pics? They were pistol shrimp then. One claw bigger than the other. My water is testing perfect .I expect a small amonia spike but my no3 hasnt tested 0 in 5 months. We'll see how it goes from here. I wanna post some pics.

I put them up on my webserver and include a pic link use the [ i m g ] www . urltopicture . com / filename . jpg [ / i m g ] syntax to put them into a document. There's another way to do it, but this is the way I've always done it! We're all waiting ...

They were pistol shrimp then. One claw bigger than the other.
Good, leave them in ..they are cool. :)
but how do you post pics?
Save a picture on your computer, make sure it is 100 KB or less.
Hit the "reply" button on a post.
Scroll to the bottom of that page and click the "browse" button. Select the picture from your files and click the "submit" button. Make sure you type a message and it will post with a thumbnail like the one in this post.
BTW, here are the pistol shrimp that were on my LR.com order. Do they look like this?

Attachments

• shrimp_167.jpg
    shrimp_167.jpg
    48.6 KB · Views: 139
Lets try this

Attachments

• tank_005_145.jpg
    tank_005_145.jpg
    52.6 KB · Views: 152
  • tank_005_166.jpg
    tank_005_166.jpg
    52.6 KB · Views: 74