Salt4Us 60 gallon reef

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Salt4Us

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Here's our 60 gallon reef, it's been up since November of 2003 but was merged from 2 other tanks that had been up longer. As you can see the leather dominates as always and our pipe organ is coming back which I am so excited about! This tank is without a skimmer and is doing really well all the corals are extremely happy and growing like weeds ;)

Equipment:
2 Maxijet powerheads
1 QuietOne 1200 that circulates the water from the tank into the fuge and back up passing by a titanium heater and over a bed of live sand and rock loaded with copepods and brittleworms and assorted variety of Tang Heaven from IndoPacific farms macro algae.
1 external Mag 5 pump that circulates through an Aqua Logic delta star 2 chiller and back up into the tank.

Live stuff:
40 to 50 pounds of live rock
150 or 160 lbs of live sand
2 Tank Raised Perculas
1 Scooter blenny
1 Purple Fire fish
1 Brown Cheek blenny
1 dominating Toadstool leather
1 huge Bubble
1 Hammer coral (from frag)
1 Anchor coral (from frag)
1 Green frogspawn
various zoanthids, yellow, green, orange, gold
1 Pipe Organ Coral
1 Flowerpot coral
1 Montipora SPS (frag)
various sponges, black and yellow
1 tunicate attached to the pipe organ
1 elephant snail
various snails and hermit crabs
4 emerald crabs (to help with the bad bubble algae problem which they don't eat fast enough for me)
1 pair of Sea bunnies from Indo Pacific Farms, pretty cool looking ;)

I still remember the 29 gal you had. That actually inspired me when starting my now 11 month old 29 gal reef. That toadstool is still just a monster! Good looking tank :wink:

how are your sea bunnies doing?? had two but one got killed in the over flow and another killed by a crab !! but man can they lay some eggs :)

The one bunnie is doing real good, haven't seen the other one which I'm afraid it's probably gone :( But I'm shocked that it's eating the red junk on the sand, my husband said we should get more, LOL until I told him how much they are for the pair ;) Maybe next algae purchase, our macro algae goes fast because the worms in the fuge eat it all :/

dont know if ya know this but ya dont need to buy a pair if ya know ya have one left then buying one more is all ya need they are hermaphodite's :) i so miss mine but they wont ship them here so i had a co-worker that was in l.a. and i watched their dog so had them shipped to their hotel the same day they flew out ! it worked great :)

Well that's cool that you got some, I don't understand why they won't ship to you, weird. They are so cool to watch, you can see things moving through their bodies, and the way the disguise themselves is cool, almost look like sponges hiding in the rocks. :)

Here's an update, the leather is huge, so huge that it has moved to the right a couple days ago, it's over my pipe organ :( Everything in the tank is getting so big, the bubble and the sps which I had to break pieces of it off because it too was invading the pipe organ :( We are seriously considering getting a bigger and taller not that we have room for it and we both realize it would be cheaper to frag the leather but we just can't bring ourselves to do it. So time to shop for a bigger tank, don't mind the shopping or the buying, it's the transferring that we both don't like.

Anyways hope ya like the updated pics.

-Kaurene

Excuse me for interrupting, but what are sea bunnies? Do any of you guys have pics or could point me to any links or sites?

Back
Top Bottom