Sea Lily

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

FishFreak1961

Aquarium Advice Freak
I purchased a sea lily Friday and it very pretty. I noticed that it
is "shedding". Is that normal or is it dying? It has locked on to a
rock and hasn't moved in about 24 hours.
I wonder if it is compatible with cleaner shrimp. I notice them
cleaning it from time to time and I have a large hermit crab also.
Would he be picking on it? I lost 2 anenome last week - one due
to intake tube sucking it up and the other maybe the hermit crab?
He just shriveled up and died and I saw the crab with it before I
took it out. Salinity is .24, no ammonia, 8 on the ph. Tank is 6
mos. old. Fish are doing great! May have to move ole crabby
to time out.:wave: I attached lily's photo

Attachments

• 100_0658.jpg
    100_0658.jpg
    64.9 KB · Views: 185
How the heck did you pick that up? They are very hard to take care of though. A guy on Reefcentral had a tank set up to take care of one.

sea lily

I picked it up at our local fish store. Thought it was cool.
Just hope I can keep it alive because it wasn't cheap! It
isn't as full and pretty anymore as it is in the pic. I read
up and they do shed sometimes and like deep water, oh
well..... Wish me luck! Should do research before purchase.

If i were you, i would go on the ReefCentral Invert forums and see if anyone can id the species. Each one eats a different food and some wont eat anothers.

Nice crinoid. I've seen some pretty amazing crinoids before, but none that were all black like that. Could you get any close-up pics? They always look better with more detail in the pictures. Right now it just looks like a black nem lol.

Crinoids, unfortunately, are virtually impossible to keep even with major food introductions and prestine water conditions. I would return this animal as they shouldn't even be offered for sale.

Well.. Innovator, i wouldn't go as far as "virtually impossible" to keep, because i've seen two tank threads, one on nano-reef and manhattanreefs, of which the owners keep crinoids successfully. I personally don't know how hard it is to keep them, but i'm sure that if a couple can do it, then so can others. May just take a lot more dedication and experience with crinoids to begin with, in order to keep them alive.

I agree it is possible, just virtually impossible ;) Depends on how you determine "success" compared to how long they live in the wild, reproductions, etc. The success rate is abismal at best.

That's very true, and a good point. A lot of the things we put in our aquariums have a shortened life span by doing so. One thing that amazed me though, was that i was reading an article the other day in national geographic about a true percula clownfish that was 25 years old, and still going strong, living in a 50G tank. I'd say that's pretty darn old for any fish i've ever seen or heard of. But clownfish are relatively small and easy to keep in aquariums, unlike crinoids. But still amazing nonetheless. Sorry to go off tangent. :p

No worries and no tangent ;) I always feel it necessary to advise of such animals with specific care regardless because many are not aware of their survivability. Just to note, a coworker mentioned someone hatching a Perc or Ocellaris and kept for 30yrs before it passed. At work we had a female bird wrasse of about 20-21yrs, prob 25-30yrs due to however old it was before it was in our hands.

Just too amazing. Are there any freshwater fish that can live as long as saltwater fish? I know some larger fish such as catfish and carp live very long lives, but are there any others? All these small saltwater fish seem to live longer than a lot of other larger FW i've seen.

http://www.nydailynews.com/lifestyl...k_pacu_is_now_43_years_old.html#ixzz0hamm1uuJ

There is a guy down here that has a pacu that was 43 years old. He owned a store and he got a pacu in by accident about 2 inches and he sold it in 1867. The people returned it a 3 years later do to it getting to big, Now it is about 2 feet. Sadly he stunted its growth i believe by keeping it in a 75g. Ether way it was still alive or not i dont know but it was still cool. BTW FW fish rule.

Kois can live up to 60 years.The world record koi was recorded in japan. it had apparently lived to 226 years old and was passed down from generation to generation. Its name was Hanoko and even if it is over exaggerated the koi lived to a crazy age.

A bichir can live up to 30 years and alligator gar can live up to 50 years and grow to 10 feet and up to 300 pounds. But this dosent always happen as to the massive tank they need that most people dont have. Spotted gar can live up too 18 years.

And we completely hijaked this post. We should be trying to help Fishfreak With this animal,
with some information,,,

Last edited:
Crinoid centre

I bought a Robust Feather star yesterday and it climbed up on of my shafts of LR and dropped a disk looking shape from its centre then drooped over, my dad thismorning put the disk back into its centre and it has com back to life, i was baffled does any one know what this behaviour is :?:

Back
Top Bottom