Seahorse diaries

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

clark4feathers

Aquarium Advice Freak
Tonight I was feeding the herd and noticed what look to be a very small tiny jelly fish. it was pulsing like a jellyfish to swim. looks like it has tenticles. Really wierd, too small for a pic. Any ideas what it might be? Seahorses seem to ignore it as it swims by. Doubt it is a copepod. 20120503_191112.jpg

I can't see anything but there was a thread not to long ago about a bunch of jellyfish popping up in a tank after months of not adding anything new. If it looks like it then it might be and you'll want to remove it carefully because seahorses are very sensitive to them even hydroids can harm them

Oh I was looking pretty hard too lol but hope everything works out for ya I just finished cycling my seahorse tank a couple days ago which took forever since I couldn't add live rock due to hydroids : /

Nice we will have to keep in touch, I am so interested in the whole seahorse thing. We can compare notes.

Sounds good.. how long have you had them and what temp do you keep them at

I keep my ponies between 74 and 75. I have LED lights to keep the heat down. No corals, just a feather duster for the to latch on too. I have had them for about 3 months. Lost a female not sure why. I noticed you have a heater in the tank, I have read they can latch on to it and burn thier tails. Maybe the new heaters are different. They love bright colored plants. Hope to have babies. Where are you getting yours?

I have the heater just to keep the tank at 84 during the cycle once I start stocking I'm taking it out

Today I did a 50% water change and swapped some brighter plants in because the ponies love yellow orange and red

That is always such downer. I lost a female, a few weeks ago. I was really bummed. I add probiotics every two weeks to prevent problems. Who knows maybe it is just witches brew

ForumRunner_20120508_090941.jpg

Yesterday I decided to add a HOB to my JBJ 28gallon it is big for the tank and seems to be working well. Dropped chem pure in the overflow.Topped it off with a filter pad. I think it is going to work just fine.

Lost one of my males yesterday:nono: Not really sure why, he was a bit smaller then the rest of them....so very upsetting. the 2 pair are doing good so far. I am building a 5 gallon refugium to go right into my stand. Barriers are up, parts arrived just waiting for the weekend. I am going to try and get as much as I can from the overflow, filter media, heater and such into the 5 gallon tank

Mrc8858 said:
Oh I was looking pretty hard too lol but hope everything works out for ya I just finished cycling my seahorse tank a couple days ago which took forever since I couldn't add live rock due to hydroids : /

Can I have live rock in a sump for a seahorse tank, I want to put one on the same system as my reef tank. Also should I avoid live sand?

you can have live sand, I do. Also I have live rock. Peppermint shrip takes care of the aptasia for me. He is big enough that the seahorses do not make a meal out of him. I have some small softie frags in there, not sure they will stay. Undecided about that. They like a birds nest to hitch too however it is a hard coral and can be a bit tuff to keep(experiment for me).

Back
Top Bottom