Sniperhank's Red Sea S-series 500

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Yeah pretty frustrating. I guess I forgot this isn't the mature Reef tank that I moved from the old house.
In general, I need to get the Cyanobacteria under control. I hope the purple will be able to take care of himself.

Not good news man. Sorry to hear. Are you just keeping the purple fed to beat the ich or are you going to try fresh water dips?

There isn't catching it. The purple has gone into hiding. With the high mortality going I wonder velvet being involved. Would make sense, but the purple is def ich. I have my doubts on survival even if it is fat and fed.

Purple is mia, so dead.
Clownfish has ich and will most likely join him.
Foxface could care less and haven't seen any sign of the parasite, but it'd have to be infected as well.
Have continued with large water changes as the Cyanobacteria points out such. Have another one ready for today.
Also remember to empty your skimmer.
IMG_1154.jpg

How often and how much percent water changes are you doing?

I'm having trouble with hair algae at the minute (only seems to be on my ceramic pieces and powerheads). I'm doing a water change today and my syphon has arrived to clean the sand to try and get rid of as many flatworms as I can before I use the FWE. I was going to syphon the water into my sump through a filter sock to try and catch worms without having to do as many water changes

Right now I'm doing 20 gallon water changes. That is just over 10%. Weekly water changes should be 10%, so I've simply done more than 1 a week since mixing up so much water in a brute trash can is a pain.
And saw the purple today. It's back into hiding.

Yeah I ordered a brute trash can the other week. Makes my life easier compared to what I was using before.

How was the purple looking? Do u think it will make it?

No, I have thick carpet in my living room. I just move the can.
As for the ich, the purple was dead this morning and clown is missing. Foxface is fine though.
In other news, it never dawned on me why I couldn't get the Cyanobacteria under control with more flow, water changes, and wouldn't vanish when the lights go out. It finally dawned on me, its dinos. Continuing to remove and do water changes. Will need more carbon due to their toxicity, which might be the issue in general since the tangs were eating the junk, and will be looking into other concepts towards solving.

Sorry, that's awful news. About the fish and the Dinos.

This is making me not want to set up a new big SW tank. (I was waffling on the option to do it - something simple, haha. SW isn't simple, not rocket science but definitely not simple.) Takes a lot of time to take care of them, not when things are going smoothly but when they aren't (a good thing for ME to remember.) Thanks for sharing the bad times too. It is what helps see the big picture and not just the cute photo ops.

You have a great tank and since it is new all sorts of things pop up and need extra care and consideration. It is a shame that the Ich was so bad.

I had a bright idea to assist with the issue today. Grabbed a flavored water bottle out of the fridge and drank it, quickly followed with drilling small holes in the top and dremeling a hole in the cap. Add in gluing some of that plastic knitting mess from the old ats to some pvc that was already on top of a pump...15 minutes for a diy bio pellet reactor.

The reactor isn't up yet. Kept pulling the cap off the pvc. Siliconed it on while the bottle was attached this morning, so should avoid the issue. If not, guess I'll have to use actual glue and go get some.

Real quick shot of my first harvest from my ats. Might have been a lot of money, but it performs so much better that the one I made.
IMG_1158.jpg
I also removed most of the Dinos from the sandbed and some from the rocks.

Back
Top Bottom