Starting up my first SW...55g

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
27583-albums872-picture6085.jpg

27583-albums872-picture6086.jpg

I'm not completely happy with the way the rocks are set up, might mess with them some more tonight after the babies are sleeping.

70lbs of base rock
11lbs of live rock

My new lights will be here Monday, have another filter on the way, ordering my skimmer today, black background is on the way, another heater is on the way as well.

So the powerhead look about in the right spot? The bottom one (Koralia 3) is directed to an opening behind the rocks to get some circulation in there, the other two (Koralia 2's) are rippling the water and pointed toward the front middle area of the tank. Also is that too much current of just fine for a 55g?

I'd use the very flattest pieces to hug the bottom glass. Don't just lay the rocks on the sand. You might want burrowers some time later. Gobies, Pistol shrimp, etc. Don't worry about the back glass so much. Stack aginst it leaning rock and wedging them against each other. Create holes in the rock for swim thru area and current/ph flows will take care of it self I think. And you might wanna keep the side glass reachable to clean. It will get ugly.

Thank you for the advice! I'm getting ready to rearrange it now. I'll post pics tomorrow morning, the water will be cleared up by then.

Looks cool. Just curious, what kind of skimmer did you buy?

Very nice. I love the plane. I think a piece of decor can look great in a SW tank. My LFS did a 4x2x2 reef with a large sunken boat piece. It was fantastic. Unfortunately they used CC as the substrate and had to take it apart. :(

kdogg, I didn't end up getting a skimmer last night after all. I almost bought the AquaC Remora with the Maxi-Jet 1200, but I just wasn't sure, so I'm still looking...

Just an fyi to zer0, I cycled my tank with mostly LR and my ammonia went off the charts. Plently of critters actaully lived through it and over the next year the tank just bloomed with life that came back from the rocks.

Looking good! I like the construction so far. Got plenty of room to stack more larger pieces at the middle area I think also. Still, looks great so far.

Well my new lights, extra heater, and some other stuff arrived...the same day it arrived I found out that there's a 95% chance I'll be back active duty Army within 2-3 months from now. So hubby and I decided to let the tank cycle, let the algae grow, and we're hoping my duty station isn't too far so that we can drive. We'll put the rocks in a tote and fill with SW, reestablish tank and then when it's ready we'll get some fish. I sucks it'll be fishless for so long... question? Do I just drop some fish flakes in the tank every few days to keep it going with bacteria and all until we're ready to put some fish in it?

Once the coralline algea grows on that plane, it'll look sweet. Nice looking setup you got there.

Back
Top Bottom