Suncoral explosion

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MsBeanCtr

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I've had this sun coral for a couple of months but since I've been doing the "half of a 2 liter plastic bottle" target feeding it's gone nuts.

A very big thank you to roka and melosu for the tip!

img_795931_0_828a89e809a8fb0e2e40567cac62af10.jpg

miner_skyline said:
Very nice sun coral...how do you do this target feeding with half a 2 litter bottle? I need some instructions...

Cut the 2 liter bottle in half (leave the top - where the lid screws on)-you'll have a "bell" shape-put this over the top of the coral. Using a turkey baster (or something similar) insert it into the lid opening and dose with phyto-feast (or whatever turns your scooter) and leave in place for a while (I leave mine on for around 30 minutes). I'll try to get a picture of it tonight.

I`ll tell you Msbeanctr that is one fantastic looking sun coral. One of the best I`ve ever seen. Great job. I am very impressed.

Looks great - never thought about feeding that way - I seen people take them out and in a bucket of tank water and load it up for about 1/2hour .

I agree it is gorgeous. I've never seen one before. Now I have to research it because I want one for my tank.

Definitely research it because they need help surviving in the SW aquarium. Thanks for the desktop image Ms Beancntr. LOL

That is an awesome coral! I've never thought about getting one until now...I just don't know if I want to take on the whole target feeding bit....Awesome job!!

Hara....the link isn't working for me..don't know about anyone else....

beachbumin said:
WOW thats perfect, congrats!!!! I just picked up one last week and hope it gets to that size....... What are you feeding that beast?

I'm feeding phyto-feast (stinks to high heavens but it loves it). As I mentioned, I target feed with the 2 liter bottle for about 30 minutes or so. I've got a picture of it last night and I'll try to post it later today.

Thanks much for the encouragment folks! :D

LATER THAT AFTERNOON.....

melosu58 said:
Definitely research it because they need help surviving in the SW aquarium. Thanks for the desktop image Ms Beancntr. LOL

That's ok....your starfish look nice on MY desktop! :lol:

Here's a picture (ok, photography isn't my forte) of my feeding "bell." The hippo tang had to get in the action....what a ham.

img_796827_0_ab499b300cd80c003ab9b8f3afe38ee3.jpg

Very nice!

Are sun corals able to filter feed? The smallest foods I've provided for mine is cyclopeeze, with the primary food source being mysis shrimp.

kay-bee19 said:
Very nice!

Are sun corals able to filter feed? The smallest foods I've provided for mine is cyclopeeze, with the primary food source being mysis shrimp.

I do offer mysis shrimp every week or so but I primarily feed the phyto-feast.

Oh, and thank you!

AFAIK they will appreciate zooplankton more than phyto, although providing both would be ideal IMO. Along w/ cyclop-eeze, DT's oyster eggs are a great zooplankton food. Also PE mysis seems to be by far the best mysis available. It has about 5-10x as much protein as other brands. HTH and keep up the good work MsBeanCtr (y)

wow nice! I've been thinking of getting a sun coral and now that I see yours and have heard more about them.... well thats just made me want it more :(

Maybe thats a good thing :)

Wow! That is one beautiful coral and the colors are intense!

Beautiful coral. I did some reading on them today just for kicks. Does yours stay closed up most of the say and only extend like in the picture when you feed it? I really like sun corals and would be willing to spend the time with target feeding if they were open a decent amount but it doesn't quite seem worth it if they will only be open an hour or two a day... or night. I read that they open more at night.

Back
Top Bottom