Todd's 60 Gallon Reef Cube

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

TheTodd

Aquarium Advice Addict
I got this 24x24x24" acrylic cube yesterday. It is in rough shape, but the price was right. As you can see from the pics, the acrylic is really hazy. I tried using some headlight restoration cleaner and polish, which took out the haze, but I think that there are so many scratches that I'm just going to take it to an acrylic restoration place to make it look like new. I will work on cleaning up the stand. I'm hoping to have this up and running by the end of this month.

I'm going to add the Leopard wrasse I got a couple weeks ago. I'm getting a Randall's Goby/ Pistol Shrimp pair Sunday. Future additions planned are a Rainsford Goby, maybe a Hectors Goby and probably a Longnose Hawk. I've also though about a Pygmy Angel (Cherub or Flameback), but am not sure since I've heard mixed results on them in reefs

I will be adding all the corals that I've gathered in my holding tank over the last couple months and a few more.

Took the tank to get buffed out today. Can't wait to see the end product!

I also went by a guy who advertises on Craigslist and sells fish, corals and supplies out of his garage. I thought it was going to be couple of holding tanks, but this guy had three fairly large tanks of corals and I think it was seven tanks with fish. A freezer with frozen food, a huge container to sell water from and a big tank with live rock. Scary, but he has a lot more than the two LFS where I live and in about 1/5 the space. His prices were really low too. I got a Duncan and some pulsing Xenia...got some nerite and nassarius snails and seven Chromis and a 200g box of Kent Reef salt. No Randall's Goby and pistol shrimp that I had hoped for though. Next time hopefully they are in stock.

I've got a friend who's got a flameback in his reef. As always, it's a hit or miss but it's possible. He hasn't touched a coral yet.

I'm considering getting either a Flameback or Cherub when I go again in a couple weeks. I guess worst case scenario, I can add it to my 240g if it decides anything is a snack.

The Duncan opened up yesterday and looks amazing. I think it has 5-6 heads and was only $21.

I don't know if I like the rim on a sump. Maybe I'm just picturing it wrong, but it looks difficult to set up and maintain.

Just saw this reply... I am thinking about trimming some of the top so that it is easier to get stuff into and out of. I may take one of the sumps from below my 240g now. I have two CPR ones and really could do with just the one on that tank. Would just have a couple holes to cap.

Just saw this reply... I am thinking about trimming some of the top so that it is easier to get stuff into and out of. I may take one of the sumps from below my 240g now. I have two CPR ones and really could do with just the one on that tank. Would just have a couple holes to cap.

Trimming would certainly help but if you could use the second one on the 240 that would be good too. You'd be able to sell the current sump or even set up another tank! :p

No more tanks! :) Starting a 240g and a 60g at almost identical times is going to be enough for a while. I am going to do the "Remove a section from my 240g sump/fuge" unless I can find another deal on something that would fit this week.

Good news, I got a good deal on a new Bubble Magus Nac5 for this cube.

Bad news...FedEx screwed up on a coral delivery last week and my order is all going to be DOA. Was supposed to arrive Friday, got put on an overnight truck (when it was not overnight), which delayed it until Saturday. They then put it on hold for pickup even after I called twice to tell them it needed to be delivered. Poor corals have been bagged since last TH and will not be delivered until tomorrow or Wed since they held them at a facility that is not open Sunday or today! Green Birdsnest, Acans, Alien Eye candy canes, Purple Aussie Duncan, Blue Zoas, Blue scroll macro algae and another macro. I'm not happy.

The lighting will be the dimmable eBay Tao knockoffs (blue/white). I've actually got two already, but just plan to use one.

The corals that were supposed to be delivered last Friday are still not here. FedEx has really blown it. I have called the 800 number daily to get the "hold for pick up" changed to "deliver". They put me on hold, come back saying that they spoke to the hub center that has the box and say I will get them tomorrow. Then it doesn't get changed and no delivery happens. I'm just going to get a refund and start my order over.

Man that sucks iv never ordered off the internet but I'm thinking of doing it soon I only got one place I can order from thats up north of Australia so not to far anyway haha have you got any plans as to if it's gonna be mixed reef or like SPS dominant

Back
Top Bottom