1 platy fry, 4 pregnant platy

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jessicafennen

Aquarium Advice Regular
I have a 20 gallon tank with 4 female platys, who I assume I purchased pregnant since there are no males in the tank. This was 5 weeks ago. Yesterday during the middle of the day I was changing the water and I saw a little fry swim about. Just one. So, immediately I searched for more. None. I was hoping the mother was just frightened or something and decided to cease giving birth and would deliver the next morning, but there are none except the little trooper from the day before. All of the platies still have squared-off bellies with visual gravid spots, and none ever showed signs that they were about to deliver. All are happy, active fish. So, here's a few questions.

1. Where are the fry? Did I create such awesome hiding spaces that even I myself cannot find them? (even though I could still find the one fry from yesterday)
2. When should I be expecting more fry? I've been anxiously awaiting their arrival since the 28 day mark.
3. Were they all eaten that fast? Or did she just deliver less than the average amount of fry? (to be honest, I can't even tell which one gave birth)
4. How should I go about keeping my one fry alive?

This is normal for platys, they can take up to a week ( possibly longer ) to drop all their fry so dont worry about that, i only breed mollies but what i do is let her drop the fry in the main tank and transfer the fry to a breeder box, this makes the birthing process much less stressful and i am sure i manage to recover most of the fry each time, i tend to up the feed slightly when she is close so mum and tank mates are full up and when i notice fry i net them into a plastic breeder box, always worked well for me

I wish I could find more... I haven't disturbed my tank so who knows... Maybe they're are more :)

Back
Top Bottom