10G Guppy Breeder Tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dewiro

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
So I decided to start a 10G guppy breeder tank...I have done a lot of research and i've gotten a variety of results. Although I understand guppies breed like crazy I still want to be very successful in raising them. So here's how it all began...(First 2 paragraphs are back story)

I purchased a 10G tank and rescued one male and one female guppy from walmart that were injured(The male did not survive). From there I went to my LFS to find the most beautifullest female guppy I could find who just so happened to be loaded with fry. Also I picked up 5 ghost shrimp for cleaning.

Upon introduction to the tank I put my new prego guppy directly into my net breeder and the next day I came in as she began to deliver. The first few began coming like kids on christmas morning. After about 5 or 6 I noticed her snag one so I removed her from the breeding net right as I had to leave for work. I set the tank up as best I could with what I had to improve the survivability of any fry released while I was at work all day. 9 Hours later when I was home from work there were over a dozen fry swimming in between the breeder and the tank so I scooped them up and put them in the breeder box. Unfortunately giving birth to all those fry got the best of her body and I found her floating a few days after :\

So now... the fry are almost 2 weeks old(born on 9/6) and I did my second water change since they have been born. I decided to move my remaining walmart rescue female guppy to my 29 gallon tank for atleast the time being. I plan on going to walmart tonight and getting a sponge to put over the suction tube of the filter. I was curious if it would be okay to release the fry into the 10g tank by themselves or if it would be best to keep in the breeder box. I didnt know if they would have a lot harder time finding the food if they were constantly spread out and hiding. I've been feeding them very crushed up flakes and occasionally i'll give them very small chunks of boiled egg yolk.

My goals with the tank are to continue breeding them and keeping the most beautifullest ones for breeding while using the others as feeders. The reason I gave all that information was because I wanted to be told if I was doing something wrong. I'm open to all recommendations. Pictures below were taken minutes before I started writing this, how does it look?

Attachments

• 10g.jpg
    10g.jpg
    255.6 KB · Views: 139
  • gpfry.jpg
    gpfry.jpg
    212.6 KB · Views: 142
well, i think your doing a good job, what are your goals- are you going to be a guppy breeder.... or just doing this for fun?

Right now doing it for fun...I would like to raise them as feeder fish but the only other tank I have is a 29G and i'm not sure if there is a fish that will be okay in a 29G and be large enough to eat a guppy. Any ideas on this?

Back
Top Bottom