Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - Breeding
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 04-26-2017, 04:48 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Regular

2 Parrot Fish Hiding.. ?

I've got a ? I have 4 Parrot Fish in a 65g acrylic tank I've had these fish for several years now and now all of a sudden I've had a male to do the sex dance and he and the female have been hidden behind this large piece of fake coral that is in the photo and yesterday my girlfriend saw one of the fish blowing a white substance out of it's mouth and they especially the male have been digging into the sand behind the fake coral do I have a breeding pair of Parrot fish as this has happened to me a few years ago when I had a baby parrot fish in my tank believe or not Help am I right or wrong on what is going on in my tank ? (The Parrot fish in the photo isn't one of the one's hiding by the way)

Old 04-27-2017, 11:01 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

Yes I believe you're seeing mating behavior. But I'm not a expert on parrots.

Old 04-27-2017, 04:54 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Regular

I upped the temperature by 2 degrees and changed the water today seeing the kissing between the two and there is a very large area behind the fake coral that is dug out a lot and they will not leave each other's side as the male is doing the digging and the female is very protective of the area...
Old 06-17-2017, 09:12 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by macman60 View Post
I upped the temperature by 2 degrees and changed the water today seeing the kissing between the two and there is a very large area behind the fake coral that is dug out a lot and they will not leave each other's side as the male is doing the digging and the female is very protective of the area...
Actually this is the time of breeding for parrot fishes. They are actually preparing for breeding. They may give birth of baby fishes or may not. Because currently there are so many fishes in market that looks similar to that of the blood parrot but genetically different from the pure one. That's why they are fertile. Any way, be careful while doing water changes and don't disturb the area of their interest. Best of luck

Tags
fish, hiding, parrot, parrot fish, rot

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com