2G tank- breeding zebra danios

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

goalorientation

Aquarium Advice Activist
My dad has a 30H with zebra danios, red mollies, and guppies. All fish have bred this season except for the zebra danios (egg layers). He says they only need a little bit of space to breed. So my boss from petco gave me a 2.5 bow (abandoned unit) which I cleaned up nicely. I put a 10g in-tank whisper into the small tank over a week ago to get it up and running. Added gravel from his aquarium, then 75% fresh and 25% of his water. He seems not to have the time to breed these fish so with proper information I'd like to go ahead and let the games begin. He has 4 zebra danios- 2 of which are obviously female. Would all 4 of them be able to breed in the 2g tank? or should I let them try in pairs. Also he says that the tank may be too tall for their liking. Any input is highly appreciated. The females look very ready to lay but the hustle and bustle of the 30 doesn't seem to allow it (nor will the dojo loach!).

The 2.5 gallon might be a bit cramped. There's less bustle, but there's also less swimming space. You could give it a try anyway, Zebras usually form loyal pairs, so extra females won't help, besides the fact the stability of the tank would be in question with more than two adults and fry....

Are you going to plant the tank?

I'm probably just going to put a single stick of bamboo in from the larger tank, unless you suggest otherwise? There's some MTS that snuck in during the substrate transfer... will that bother the breeding?

Some small plants will give fry a place to hide after they are born. There are synthetic breeding mats if live plants isn't your thing.

I always purposely put snails in my breeder boxes, they eat up the leftover food the fry miss and keep things cleaner.

I would invest in some Java Moss. A small clump should do the trick with the right water conditions. I have used this moss for breeding several different species with great success. I had a couple of Black Neons in a tank one time not even planning on breeding them. Then one day I noticed several small frys swimming around. I have also breed Australians with Java Moss.

Good Luck! :wink:

Back
Top Bottom