36 new platy fry!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jd8521

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Wow! I thought she was about to bust last night. I put her in the breeder and woke up to 36 new platy fry. Now to move them to their tank. Is there any easy way to do this while keeping stress minimal on the fry?

I've lost 2 fry. They looked weak and didn't make it. All the others are looking very healthy and swimming around. I still have them in the breeder. I'm not sure when might be a good time to move them.

I would wait until they have completely absorbed there yolk sack and are eating crushed flake, or whatever you are going to feed them, before moving them.

I'm assuming it's a breeder box? The one with slits on the side to promote water flow? --- When I have guppy fry in mine I give them about 1 week to strengthen up. At that time I put in a small bowl into the tank under 1 corner of the breeder box ... I gently lift the breeder box (fry still inside of it) and place it inside of the bowl with water. Then I lift the bowl out of the water and 1 side of the breeder box stays under water with the fry swimming around. I then lower the bowl into the new tank and remove the breeder box/bowl leaving the fry in the new tank. This keeps the fry always in water and allows easy transport anywhere in the house.

-R

Back
Top Bottom