Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - Breeding
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 03-21-2012, 06:35 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Addict

5am first platy fry spotted!

So ya it's 5:30 now, so far no more fry, not sure which female is dropping since 3 are in my ten gallon. I think it's my twin bar since she looks squared off. Will keep updating as more drop hopefully.

Old 03-21-2012, 09:08 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

8am now and have only managed to find one more and added to the breeder net. Still unsure who is dropping.

Old 03-21-2012, 11:19 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

I have a feeling this may take all day and I work today ugh. Well two is a start I guess but I wanted more
Old 03-21-2012, 12:06 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice FINatic

congrats! at least you found 2. now you will know to keep looking! good luck on finding more. they are small little guys. make sure you are looking low - pretty srue platies hide low and mollies hide high
Old 03-21-2012, 06:41 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Freak

Check the rocks, the corners, even off in the rocks. And look for days!! I found my mollies days after they were born hiding in the rocks. They are cleaver little fellows fighting to survive! Good luck!
Old 03-21-2012, 10:53 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

Ya still only 2 fry, I've looked all over, I think she's still holding I'll monitor over night. If I have 2 I'm happy but more would be much more rewarding.
Old 03-27-2012, 05:06 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Freak

Hey! Chiming in here a little late and i don't breed fish, but i just found 2 platy fry yesterday in my tank! I didn't know anyone was pregnant and i thought that i had all males in my tank. That was naive on my part, i guess. (my lfs told me they are all males).
So a couple questions about the process of "having the fry". Is it over and done with now? Should i keep looking for babies? How long is gestation for the little fries? Will she be having more fry all the time now?
My tank can't handle much more fish and i'm just wondering what the normal process is like for these baby having platys. I posted a super cute pic of the new fry on another thread , i may try to get it on this one too.
Thanks!
Old 03-27-2012, 05:53 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaygunK
Hey! Chiming in here a little late and i don't breed fish, but i just found 2 platy fry yesterday in my tank! I didn't know anyone was pregnant and i thought that i had all males in my tank. That was naive on my part, i guess. (my lfs told me they are all males).
So a couple questions about the process of "having the fry". Is it over and done with now? Should i keep looking for babies? How long is gestation for the little fries? Will she be having more fry all the time now?
My tank can't handle much more fish and i'm just wondering what the normal process is like for these baby having platys. I posted a super cute pic of the new fry on another thread , i may try to get it on this one too.
Thanks!
No way of knowing if it's over. If they are tiny tiny they could have just been born and there could be 30 more to come. Just keep checking and if you go a few hours and there is no more... She is done. She may have more babies in 30 days I believe... 45 maybe. She will get nice and plump you can tell!!! If you leave them and let nature takes its course, they may make it and they may not. Good luck!
Old 03-27-2012, 06:08 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Freak

That's the thing i don't know, what am i checking for? More fry swimming around? And as dumb as this sounds, i'm not sure which of my platy's they are from!
Old 03-27-2012, 06:43 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Freak

This is the best pic!

Attachment 85349

Attachment 85350

Attachment 85351

I didn't get any pics of the other fry yet, he is different coloring it appears. but they are super small, maybe 1/4 cm.

Tags
fry, platy, platy fry

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com