5am first platy fry spotted!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Chronos313

Aquarium Advice Addict
So ya it's 5:30 now, so far no more fry, not sure which female is dropping since 3 are in my ten gallon. I think it's my twin bar since she looks squared off. Will keep updating as more drop hopefully.

8am now and have only managed to find one more and added to the breeder net. Still unsure who is dropping.

I have a feeling this may take all day and I work today ugh. Well two is a start I guess but I wanted more

congrats! at least you found 2. now you will know to keep looking! good luck on finding more. they are small little guys. make sure you are looking low - pretty srue platies hide low and mollies hide high

Check the rocks, the corners, even off in the rocks. And look for days!! I found my mollies days after they were born hiding in the rocks. They are cleaver little fellows fighting to survive! Good luck!

Ya still only 2 fry, I've looked all over, I think she's still holding I'll monitor over night. If I have 2 I'm happy but more would be much more rewarding.

Hey! Chiming in here a little late and i don't breed fish, but i just found 2 platy fry yesterday in my tank! I didn't know anyone was pregnant and i thought that i had all males in my tank. That was naive on my part, i guess. (my lfs told me they are all males).
So a couple questions about the process of "having the fry". Is it over and done with now? Should i keep looking for babies? How long is gestation for the little fries? Will she be having more fry all the time now?
My tank can't handle much more fish and i'm just wondering what the normal process is like for these baby having platys. :) I posted a super cute pic of the new fry on another thread , i may try to get it on this one too. :)
Thanks!

RaygunK said:
Hey! Chiming in here a little late and i don't breed fish, but i just found 2 platy fry yesterday in my tank! I didn't know anyone was pregnant and i thought that i had all males in my tank. That was naive on my part, i guess. (my lfs told me they are all males).
So a couple questions about the process of "having the fry". Is it over and done with now? Should i keep looking for babies? How long is gestation for the little fries? Will she be having more fry all the time now?
My tank can't handle much more fish and i'm just wondering what the normal process is like for these baby having platys. :) I posted a super cute pic of the new fry on another thread , i may try to get it on this one too. :)
Thanks!

No way of knowing if it's over. If they are tiny tiny they could have just been born and there could be 30 more to come. Just keep checking and if you go a few hours and there is no more... She is done. She may have more babies in 30 days I believe... 45 maybe. She will get nice and plump you can tell!!! If you leave them and let nature takes its course, they may make it and they may not. Good luck!

That's the thing i don't know, what am i checking for? More fry swimming around? And as dumb as this sounds, i'm not sure which of my platy's they are from!

RaygunK said:
This is the best pic!

I didn't get any pics of the other fry yet, he is different coloring it appears. but they are super small, maybe 1/4 cm.

He looks like a Molly. Do you have any?

RaygunK said:
That's the thing i don't know, what am i checking for? More fry swimming around? And as dumb as this sounds, i'm not sure which of my platy's they are from!

That's the only way I know is to see more babies.

Yes, I do have mollies! 3 males & 1 female. I know the ratio is way off, but they we're all supposed to be males. I just thought the orange with black marks on tail it was for sure a platy! I'll have to get the other fry in a glass & take some close ups to see what he looks like. B/c I don't think he's orange. My mollies are creamsicle , grey potbelly & a orange potbelly & the female is a Dalmatian. Hmmmm....

RaygunK said:
This is the best pic!

I didn't get any pics of the other fry yet, he is different coloring it appears. but they are super small, maybe 1/4 cm.

Defiantly Platy try IMO!! Looks exactly like mine and I have red wag Platy. I'm assuming by the looks!

EDIT: Just looked on profile and probably the red wag dropped the fry!! You got some too!:)

RaygunK said:
Ok, here are the pics of the other one (these are very close up).

Platy? Molly?

Idk! Not familiar with platy. The first one looked like a red Molly. I don't know. I trust the person who has platys and said they looked like hers!

I am not so sure... Mine are easier to tell because I have black Molly babies and orange platy babies. My only thought is that it is really big for a platy and I am thinking looks more like a Molly but I am far from an expert. The platy when born are super tiny and we think they lolls "buggy eyed" the eyes are so big for their little see through bodies - the mollies look like little fleas at the start but start looking like little fish pretty soon. The platy stays pretty tiny so I am going with the molly. I can post a pic of both of mine if you want or you can look through my threads... I have one for each in there somewhere

Back
Top Bottom