A few different species breeding questions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cherokeeluvr

Aquarium Advice Addict
I'm attempting to breed peppered cories and cherry barbs. I know they are both schooling fish and I didn't plan on breeding, but I think I ended up with males and females of both.. I have three cories and one is larger than the other two. Haven't seen any "action" yet. Will they breed just being left alone? If they do how do I go about keeping and raising the fry? For the cherry barbs I have 4 and I think 2 females. They are lighter than the other two. Will they breed in a community tank too? Also how should I care for eggs or fry? Should I get a breeder box? Any suggestions with these fish would be appreciated!

Sent from my iPhone

I can't say bout the barbs since I don't keep them. Cories will just do their thing. I have noticed that mine would do a lot of glass surfing in the days/hours prior to spawning. Some people will do a PWC with cooler water to help kick the spawning into gear. I've never bothered with it, though.

Ok, so I should just leave them alone? What's the best food for them? Also any certain plants they prefer for breeding? How big are baby fry and will they be eaten? My biggest fish is a dwarf gourami. Sorry for all of the questions!

Sent from my iPhone

It's all good. I would feed them high protein foods, maybe incorporate frozen brine or bloodworms into their diet. They will lay eggs all over the surfaces in the tank, especially tank walls. Sometimes if you have a lot of floating plants they will lay on them as well. You aren't going to be able to keep any of the fry alive unless you have a ton of cover on the bottom or move the eggs out to hatch and grow in a separate tank.

The eggs can be removed with a razor blade or gentle fingernail, but give them a few hours to harden a bit before you try it.

I feed my fish freeze dried bloodworms and some extra go down. I'm in the process of growing a microsword carpet but if they breed soon that wouldn't work... I will look into a breeder box tonight. Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone

I just put them in a tank with only snails. I'm going to "fatten" them up for two weeks, then do a 50% water change at night and add cold water and then turn off the lights and hope for some magic! Lol

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Back
Top Bottom