a few questions about mexican dwarf crawfish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

peterwins

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I just got my first tank today for breeding mexican dwarf crawfish. I have a few questions about getting the tank set up to the crawfishs liking.

1. is it ok to fill the tank with tap water that I drink out of at my house?

2. is it better to use live plants or plastic ones?

3. If real plants is my best bet what plants do they like?

4. is 2 female and 1 male fine for a 10 gallon tank?

5. Is it ok that I only have one tank or should I get another one for breeding?

6.what is my best option for feeding the crawfish?

7.should I have the tank at 72ish degrees and lower it to 65 when I want them to mate or leave it at 65 for best mating results?

8. after the craw fish are born what are some places to sell them and how old should they be before selling them?

9. I heard that it takes 14-28 days for the babys to begin to hatch is this correct?

10. how often should the tank be cleaned?

Thats it for now if I think of any more questions I will post them.

thanks for any advice you may have for me I really appreciate it.

:thanks:

Peter

1. It is not ok to full up aquarium with tap water

(Will need to answer in lots of replies since iPhone prevents me from seeing the page)

5. Most freshwater fish (probably saltwater too) will eat their young. I would advise you to put your newborn crawfish in a desperate tank or breeding compartment.

10. You should do a 10% water change every week. Your filter cartridge should be replaced every 2 weeks-1 month.

1. You need to treat the tap water to get rid of the chlorine and nutralize metals. 2-3. Real plants with dwarf crayfish. Java moss and hornwart, lots of java moss. 4. Yes that is the correct ratio. 5. Yes, get a 20L for the kids. 6. You can use a variety of stuff including crayfish food. I'd go with small pieces of sinking shrimp pellets and blanched peas cut into 1/4. Feed lightly, they will be eating the biofilm and stuff from the plants and gravel. 7. The temp is a bit more tricky. If they are already adults, (Assuming you have no fish) -keep them at 72 for two months and then lower the temp by simply unplugging the heater. I would do partcial water change say 10% each day starting two days prior to the temp drop and 3-5 days afterward. 8. You can sell them on Craig'slist, Aquabid and here. 9. Egg hatch time is temp dependent. I would remove the female and put her in the 20L. I would increase the temp to 72-74. Other than that yes it takes that long. 10. A 10-15% water change weekly is appreciated. Changing the filter pad every 2-4 weeks is enough. If you over do it on food then increase the frequency of both procedures. 11.-Fooled ya, in the 20L keep it basic until the babies are born and leaving mom. I would use a piece or two of small PVC cut to 3" long. I would supply the babies once mom is gone with about 25 pieces of PVC at 4" long plugged in the middle so it is like two pieces. I would add java moss and even some plastic plans. Establish 2-3 small bare areas to feed them in. You can judge the food volume and clean up much better that way.

If you have more questions ask or p.m. me.--Good Luck

Back
Top Bottom