A few tips I caught when watching for my platy to drop...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cappieBridget

Aquarium Advice Freak
I caught her less than 12 hours before she dropped her fry! Here's some tips that I took note of and maybe they will come to use for you livebearers :D

1. her shape: she looked the same size while carrying but her anal area definitly fell down to a point (it dropped downhanging like her stomach) and I kept a close eye on her so I really could tell the change in her shape and her gravid spot became more of an area with dark spots (I guess the eyes) instead of a whole dark area.

2. she was breathing fast

3. she was hiding in places hwere she normally doesn't go. Inside the sunken ship and sitting there for a while, coming out darting fast and going back in.

4. she ate and pooped ALOT!!! When she would poop, she would push it out fast and shake her tail to get it off fast!

I hope this helps some of you looking for answers when your livebearer will let go of their fry :wink:
img_628110_0_292da794af6d07fd2f061bdf3b3a5e42.gif

Thanks for the much needed info. My big fat sunburst orange platy is going to pop any day now. Now I know what to look for right before she lets loose!!

I'm absolutely loving your fishbowl gif. too!! :) It reminds me of those little games where you wind up the fish pond and try to catch all those brightly colored magnetic fish with your little magnet fishing rod.

Attachments

• fishbowl_172.gif
    fishbowl_172.gif
    5.3 KB · Views: 205
Back
Top Bottom