Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - Breeding
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 10-16-2007, 09:09 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak

A new way to feed fry

My fry are now big enough to eat crushed flakes, but after I crush them between my fingers there are usually a few flakes that are still too big to eat and they drop to the bottom of the tank. :cry:

I just got the idea to drop them through my fish net instead of straight into the tank. This way the bigger crumbs are filtered out and don't reach the tank. :)

Old 10-17-2007, 01:19 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Activist

Send a message via Yahoo to garth7
Interesting and very clever!

Old 10-22-2007, 07:02 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Freak

Koolness, but i have worked my way around that. This is what i do, first the just crunch them up with my fingers, then i put them in a plastic baggy, and crush them up with a spoon, then a knife, then, i put the crunched up flake, then put some DRY aquarium gravel in there and shake it up until your satisfied, the flake is so small after that, hen you stick your tip of your finger in it, it will cover the surface of a 30g tank.
Old 11-08-2007, 08:47 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Freak

Another good idea. One problem I have had with grinding it up ahead of time is perishability. I used to grind it up and leave it in a custard cup for daily use. I could have done better by putting it in a closed container, but in an open container, I got some caking, etc. With the net, it's a just-in-time scenario. I keep the net hanging over the open tank and drop a little crushed food through the net while I'm on my feeding rounds. With 11 tanks and multiple feedings per day, I have to worry a little about time efficiency.

Tags
feed, fry

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com