ABN breeding??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

em_witt

Aquarium Advice Addict
O I have 3 Albino bristlenose plecos in a 75gal tank with small SA cichlids... I have 1 male and 2 females... And while at feeeding time the females come and get their food the male sits in his little cave. A few days ago I saw the bigger of the two females go in to the cave and moving around for 10-20 min then ever since then the male has been in there kinda moving his fins occasionally! I can't see in the cave bc it's too dark...
Pic!!!

image-1334695436.jpg

i would still suggest looking in there with a flash light... if there are fertile eggs in there they will be yellow/orange

its still possible if it is an inexperienced male

feed them like crazy, lots of veggies, and when you do your water changes a slight drop in temp can encourage breeding

I would suggest doing a little research because I think yours will breed for you

Fish4bass8 said:
I have a 2nd fry tank setup and running... It's kinda small tho like 5-7 gallons! Is this enough?

no.. that would only be big enough for maybe a week ... they can have up to 100 young at a time...

again I suggest doing a simple Google search and doing 10 mins of reading up in the subject

a 10 gallon is fine for a little while but when they start growing u will need to move them to a biger tank. i have raised tons in a ten gall then moved them to biger tanks as soon as they start clinging to the walls and climbing all over. good luck

bob mccoy said:
a 10 gallon is fine for a little while but when they start growing u will need to move them to a biger tank. i have raised tons in a ten gall then moved them to biger tanks as soon as they start clinging to the walls and climbing all over. good luck

So is a 20 gal big enough to raise them to growing size?

ABNs

Just saw this post and thought I would chime in - I bred my lf albino bn plecs successfully last year (about 300 fry from four spawns). Raised them mostly in the 40G they hatched in, though I did keep a 20G long available for backlog and fed them all lots of fresh veggies to grow out as optimally as possible - my LFS will not take them until they are at least 1.5".

The pair were in the 3.5" range when they first bred but are now over 4". My female is gravid again so I will do a 40% WC and raise the temp up to 82-84 degrees (to simulate a heavy spring rainfall and heatwave like the amazon) and that should be enough to stimulate the first spawn - worked last year. Each spawn is huge (about 100), so the bigger your tanks & better the filtration, the better, as the plecs are dirty fish :)

Good luck with your spawn!

Back
Top Bottom