ABN Plecos

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

black hills tj

Aquarium Advice Addict
Hey Everyone,

I have 5 ABN plecos that i picked up on aquabid from the same spawn. I'm getting 5-10 more next week from a separate spawn on aquabid. Hopefully I will get a few breeding pairs out of the deal. My question is...how long does it take ABN pleco's to reach sexual maturity? I cannot sex the one's I have yet and was just curious.

Thanks,

Mike

I believe they need to be 1and 1/2 to 2 years old. These were born in March and are a little over 1 inch now. The parents were about 2 when I got the first batch.

Attachments

• bn2_807_203.jpg
    bn2_807_203.jpg
    112.9 KB · Views: 42
Just a FYI....You will likely get a pair from the five you have...You could just purchase a matched pair if you don't want to wait.

TwoHobbies said:
Just a FYI....You will likely get a pair from the five you have...You could just purchase a matched pair if you don't want to wait.

50-80 dollars for an ABN pair is a little much for 2 fish at this point in time. Thanks for the tip. The one's I have are from the same spawn and I was just thinking about the possibility of inbreeding and fry with defects. What are the odds of that happening?

On another note, how often do yours spawn? Are you able to raise many of the fry? Do you sell them to a LFS or otherwise?

Thanks,
Mike

Yes, that is what I figured you were thinking, no problem, no defects!...Mine are brother, sister.

On another note, how often do yours spawn?

They were spawning every 6 weeks, (first three batches), now its been 3 months without one.

Are you able to raise many of the fry?

I haven't lost any fry. I almost lost some to a filter mishap! (get a prefilter on your intake)

Do you sell them to a LFS or otherwise?
Yup, LFS

Even with non-family members, there is a chance of dwarfism (runts) but it's not too often and the mortality rates of albino's are slightly less than that of regular bristlenoses. Oh, and don't be shy, Al has a ton of em'.

TwoHobbies said:
Yes, that is what I figured you were thinking, no problem, no defects!...Mine are brother, sister.

On another note, how often do yours spawn?

They were spawning every 6 weeks, (first three batches), now its been 3 months without one.

Are you able to raise many of the fry?

I haven't lost any fry. I almost lost some to a filter mishap! (get a prefilter on your intake)

Do you sell them to a LFS or otherwise?
Yup, LFS

That's odd that they spawned every 6 weeks and then kind of stopped. Seasonal maybe?

I will have a 10g qt/fry tank setup for when they spawn..

What does your lfs pay for them? How old are they when you sell?

Thanks,

Mike

Sidenote-Jchillin, what do you mean when you say "Oh, and don't be shy, Al has a ton of em'.?"

Jchillin said:
Al (aka Twohobbies) has achieved "Master Breeder" status. Rather than spend money at Aquabid.... *hint*

ooo...well I'm the high bid(5 dollars and 7 bucks for shipping) on 5 ABN's right now and there's a day left so we'll see how that goes. What all does he breed? Looks like peppermints maybe?

Not sure why Mike, the third spawn never got moved to the 20g grow tank, could be seasonal, maybe the water change temp went up enough to not incourage spawning?? I'm sure it could be many things. I kind of ran out of room in the ark so I was somewhat happy about it.

What does your lfs pay for them?

Three bucks each.

How old are they when you sell?

Any age over 6 months.

I have no idea what they are, other than common Bristle Nose, or workaholics!

Al (aka Twohobbies) has achieved "Master Breeder" status.

Thanks Bill, :) If sitting back, waiting and watching makes you a "Master Breeder" Than that I am.

Back
Top Bottom