Accidental Cory spawning... Help?!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Morgie

Aquarium Advice FINatic
My mature female peppered corydora has started laying eggs on the sides of the tank/ornaments/everything. I did a PWC yesterday and I suppose she was "in the mood" and the water was a little cooler than usual before the heater got it back to it's usual temp.

Not sure what to do at this point? In the tank I have six peppered cories (three are not breeding size) and a dwarf gourami. I'm kind of worried about my gourami eating the eggs, as he is a pig, but he doesn't seem to have noticed them yet.

I might be able to relocate my fish to my other tanks temporarily if that's what's best for the fry, but I also have an empty ten gallon tank at the moment as well... could I move the fry into that tank as an alternative? I'm a bit overwhelmed by this and I don't know how many of the eggs/fry I should expect to make it.

I also have some spare hornwart just floating in another tank, and I've heard it called the baby saver plant before, so if I chose to leave the fish in the same tank maybe I could just add a good bit of that but UGHHH could really use some advice :nono:
off to google cory breeding. ffff-

-Morgan

Well, as I kind of expected, my dwarf gourami (Kenneth, yes I'm one of those people that name all of their fish LOL U__U) ate the majority of the eggs last night. I know it was him because one: he is looking fat and sassy this morning and two: his tail fin has been torn in several places. I know most fish don't care if their eggs are being eaten, but apparently my cories do.
There are still about six visible eggs left (there in a spot where Kenneth can't fit because he's too fat), and Pickle Eyes may lay more over the following days, so I'll keep you guys posted. If I get a mass clutch again I'll definitely be moving Kenneth and my juvenile cories to the big tank temporarily. :)
Who knows? Maybe the leftover eggs will hatch. I have no idea if they're fertilized or not since I never witnessed the spawning, but I guess we'll see in a couple of days. :>

oh my! I have no experience with this, I cant even tell my cories apart gender wise. (only by name ;) ) GL in your adventure, and hope you get some answers from people who know. I think little cory fry would be SO cute!! :)

Females are wider and have bigger bellies so that their nose and tail don't touch the bottom when they're resting.. It is hard to tell until they reach a certain size, though. I can't tell at all with my three juveniles.
Unfortunately all my eggs were eaten by my dwarf gourami, so if I ever find eggs again I know I've gotta get him out of that tank ASAP.

a breeding net is best. take a credit card and scoop the eggs on that then put them in the breeder net. they can eat first bites, but yea they'll get eatin if not moved

Back
Top Bottom