Accidental Danio breeding

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Dafishman

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I bought 5 danios from the pet store and a couple weeks later there are baby fry on the rocks of my fish tank. I just let them do there thing in the rocks but now (about a month after the fry show up) I believe one of the fish are pregnant how do I tell if they are pregnant and how easy is it to raise danios?

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Well if you already have babies still living then that is a plus, you can't stop nature, and they will breed if they are together, most people have fish that will eat the babies, and so most people don't notice this occurrence.

There are lots of threads about raising babies and you can read through them to get some additional ideas.

Fry food, Hikari makes one called First Bites. Use a flat end tooth pick, a little of the stuff goes a loooong way. Are you wanting to keep breeding them to get a few more?

If you don't want the babies just decide which kind of additional fish you want that is larger and they will eat the babies. Just a nature kinda thing.

If you are wanting to keep them, then additional plants that are frilly and a little dense, and can be in the tank at all levels like low medium and floating will help give lots of hiding places. Java Moss is great too. It has little bits of stuff the babies can eat.

I do want to keep them and I just bought a breeding cage. But the real trouble is that if can't tell which one in the female. Here's the pic of the one I think is the female ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1410126485.570367.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1410126495.124951.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1410126508.436995.jpg
Is it pregnant or just a fat fish

So take the fish out of the cage and let nature do it's thing? If so what can I do to increase the chance of survival for he frys

So take the fish out of the cage and let nature do it's thing? If so what can I do to increase the chance of survival for he frys

Yes, are there any other inhabitants in the tank? The best way to increase survival is to set up a specie only tank, and have another one for the parents because the parents will eat the eggs, and fry. Baby brine shrimp are also very useful.

Sent from my iPod touch using Aquarium Advice

Back
Top Bottom