Advice needed: Non-agressive Breeders?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sudz

Aquarium Advice Addict
Hey, I'm looking to move on from guppies, as they're getting... well, annoying, and i dont have the means to seperate them by sex. With that in mind... Can anyone recommend a less... prolific? fish to breed. I want to move into egg laying fish.

Tank stats:
15 gallon, 18 watt PC bulb, Elite 20 (soon to be AC 20) and a 50 watt heater

Fish: 1 Clown Loach, 2 Tijii Cories, 1 Male Betta (will be moved to work in a few weeks) 12 guppies will be being sold before i get the "replacement" breeders. (keep an eye on buy/trade forum in the upcoming weeks)

The tank is kept at 80*f,

PH of 7.4

KH is at 9 degrees hardness.

AND looking at the tank, my clown loach just scared the bejezuz outta me Laying on its side, seemingly dead... Just sleeping. Victim to the clown yet again.

Anyway, Let me know what you guys thing! Easy (ish) to bread egg layers only!

If you can find them, Keyhole cichlids would be good. They are pretty small (I think they stay smaller than GBRs), but I'm not sure if you could fit too many in a 15g tank. If you end up with a spawning pair, you would have to deal with the others as they can get aggressive about the eggs.

Keyhole cichlids would breed in a 15g if you provide them with enough cover, they can get skittish without enough cover. They do NOT stay smaller then GBR's however. But I think that with all egglaying cichlids you would have to remove the clown loach. May be too active for the cichlids and will definetly cause problems when the parents are protecting their eggs.
You water parameters are fine for most cichlids to breed in, as long as they stay stable.

Getting a pair of cichlids may take you a while. Often lfs will cary young cichlids, you will pay allot more for a proven breeding pair. I got myself 5 juvenile keyhole cichlids and returned 3 to the lfs once I had a pair. It took almost 10 months before the first spawn though.

Good luck!

Cory cats, specifically, C. trilineatus but many others can be bred. I have bred them in a 10 gallon tank and have 21 total to show for it. Otherwise I would suggest BN plecos. I haven't bred them yet but I have a male and female and will be soon. If you can find them, get the albinos because they turn a bright orange when ready to mate, the males anyway.

Most Apisto's will breed in a 10gal tank. So you'd have enough room for a trio pair. The Cockato apisto is a easy breeder and nice starter pair for breeding. Also Kribs would work and make great perants.I've heard They breed for life.Most all Apisto' and kribs can and do make nice tank mates for Guppys.
I keep my Apisto's,Kribs ,Killi's, GBR's in with Dwarf puffer , African darf frogs guppys and countless others. Te GBR's and the Kribs are with fry every 14 to18 days. It's so cool to see a pair of Kribs swimming around the tank with there fry.

We talk about it and it happens. Moma and Daddy krib are taking there new babys for a hop around the tank and whatching them oh so close as to not let a singal thing get with in 6 to 10 inchs. So there you go great parnents and breeded not 11 dys ago. I still have 4 of there fry in the tank from there last fry. So want a good breeding pair Krib!!!!!!!!

Back
Top Bottom