Advice on Caring for Fry

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

skrapeNKA

Aquarium Advice Freak
I've managed to get ONE egg to successfully hatch in the first spawn (for myself and the peacock gudgeons involved). My issue is that the little guy is no longer near the airstone and structure it was originally attached to, and still can't seem to swim freely with the yolk attached. Should I try to move an airstone closer to it / reposition the fry otherwise? (It's hard to spot, but the little guy is in the reflection of the PVC tube with it's reflection just below it, as well)

I've been removing the eggs that look fuzzy as I see them, just a few left now but I'm pretty sure they weren't fertilized at this point; especially since one has turned into a fish!

It's in a 5g tank I set up on the counter with a mature sponge filter from my main tank being powered by a Marina 50 air pump, split to an airstone that is positioned under where the eggs were attached. I pulled a handful of java moss out of my main tank and stuck it in there, too. LFS said it would provide cover and infusoria.

Attachments

• IMG_20170711_162739.jpg
    IMG_20170711_162739.jpg
    235.8 KB · Views: 47
Oh my word! That little guy is adorable! I know that doesn't help much. I am not an expert when it comes to these guys, but it sounds like tou are doing the best that you can right now. Sorry I'm not more helpful. He's just so stinking cute!

I am breeding peacock gudgeons rn and what I have learned is that the 1st few days you can see nothing after the eggs hatch because they are so small but just feed ground up Flakes and any other really small food. They grow quite slowly and you have to be careful not to suck any out during water changes but constant feeding and water changes in a separate tank has worked wonders for me. I have about 30 fry that are beginning to color up at the moment.

Back
Top Bottom