Advice on cherry shrimp?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Still not sure what sex that one shrimp is.. given it has no visible saddle, it might be male, but I am not sure, sorry.

If you can find the brand name of that filter, it would help. If it is an Aqua Clear, I can assure you that replacing the impeller shaft is both easy and quick to do. Other brands I may not be familiar with, but if replacement parts are available, usually installing them is not very difficult at all. They are made with home repair in mind as a rule, nobody is going to take a filter in for servicing. But a LFS might be able to help you fix it if you get the parts. Depends on the store and their staff, pretty much.

Algae on a plate is great for shrimp - they don't need much. Shrimp pellets are enjoyed also. But clean water is imperative. You must keep ammonia at 0, nitrite at 0 and nitrate below 30 ppm. Without a functional filter that might be hard to achieve.. so yeah, I'd take out those fry if the filter isn't working.

No worries I understand they are still young I really want them to start breeding don't want any to die :/
Also do you know how big these guys get? And if and when they reach their max size can I put them in my community tank?

I don't know what make the filter is :/
I don't think it says anything on it...

It's not on a plate it's on a rock or slate type it's just growing on there so I was thinking about moving it from my community tank into my shrimp tank?
Also I was wonder could I feed them cucumbers?
I may need to get some pellets
The filter is working fine but just making a lot of noise which is annoying :/
I was saying if I should move my fry as they will pollute the water more quickly

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

If the filter is working properly, noise or not, the tank water should be ok. Cherry shrimp are small, females get to maybe 1.25 inches.. males are a bit smaller in size at maturity.

They are not likely to eat cucumbers, I don't think. Tiny pieces of leafy veg, spinach or kale, may be taken. Boil them first, to soften them and remove any leftovers the next day. The slate with algae on it will be appreciated.

If the filter is working properly, noise or not, the tank water should be ok. Cherry shrimp are small, females get to maybe 1.25 inches.. males are a bit smaller in size at maturity.

They are not likely to eat cucumbers, I don't think. Tiny pieces of leafy veg, spinach or kale, may be taken. Boil them first, to soften them and remove any leftovers the next day. The slate with algae on it will be appreciated.

Yeah the filter is working fine just making noise. Yeah it should be ok but the water will get dirty much quickly seeing as there are fry in the tank...
Ok thanks

Hmm are you sure they can't eat cucumbers? I googled it and it says that they will eat them :s anyone else tried to feed shrimps cucumbers?
I have frozen spinach would that be fine?

Anyone?
Also how long does it take for a shrimp to be mature and what will it look like for male and female?

If you want to try feeding cukes to shrimp, you can. I don't like the idea of solid veggies for them, it's not really what they evolved to eat.

They only live about 12-18 months, and are sexually mature between 4-6 months of age. They don't really stop growing, every time they moult it's because they have grown a bit, but growth slows down a lot when they get near mature size. Females can be up to 1.25 inches long.. males are smaller, an inch or less.

Try looking up some pictures on line, to see various cherries.. some are a bit bigger, some a bit smaller, and the colour varies with what line they're bred from or if they are the wild form. Put 'cherry shrimp, Image' in google, you'll see tons of pics.

The main differences between male and female, other than the saddle that sexually mature female develop, a yellow patch behind the head, on the back, are in shape and size. Males have a straight line underneath that slants upward somewhat, and females have a rounded underline, much thicker in the middle than males.

It's impossible to sex very young or juvenile shrimp.. once they're old enough to breed, then it's possible to sex them fairly easily.

If you want to try feeding cukes to shrimp, you can. I don't like the idea of solid veggies for them, it's not really what they evolved to eat.

They only live about 12-18 months, and are sexually mature between 4-6 months of age. They don't really stop growing, every time they moult it's because they have grown a bit, but growth slows down a lot when they get near mature size. Females can be up to 1.25 inches long.. males are smaller, an inch or less.

Try looking up some pictures on line, to see various cherries.. some are a bit bigger, some a bit smaller, and the colour varies with what line they're bred from or if they are the wild form. Put 'cherry shrimp, Image' in google, you'll see tons of pics.

The main differences between male and female, other than the saddle that sexually mature female develop, a yellow patch behind the head, on the back, are in shape and size. Males have a straight line underneath that slants upward somewhat, and females have a rounded underline, much thicker in the middle than males.

It's impossible to sex very young or juvenile shrimp.. once they're old enough to breed, then it's possible to sex them fairly easily.

Sorry i might be stupid but what are cukes? Currently all I'm feeding them is left over flake food that the fry don't eat and whatever else grows in the tank. I was wondering if you could feed them boiled cucumbers?

Ok thanks I've seen that some are going much faster than other as I have 2 that are visible quite big compared to the rest why is that?

Ok but currently I don't see any saddles appearing on any of the shrimps yet I don't think they are mature yet :s

I've got a picture is it possible to tell what's what?

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1417080276.934008.jpg

Cuke.. short for cucumber ! Like I said, you can try it. Maybe they eat it, maybe they don't. They don't need a lot of food.. I feed mine algae pellets and they eat micro worms too, which are there for fry.

I think they may be a bit young yet for sexual maturity. Patience is a virtue.

Cuke.. short for cucumber ! Like I said, you can try it. Maybe they eat it, maybe they don't. They don't need a lot of food.. I feed mine algae pellets and they eat micro worms too, which are there for fry.

I think they may be a bit young yet for sexual maturity. Patience is a virtue.

Oh ok thanks for that yeah i'll try it and will let you know
Hmmm yeah currently all I feed them is flake food that the frys don't eat.
Also can I feed them frozen bloodworm but these are thick blood worms not the small ones.

Ahh ok thanks I was also wondering what temperature do I need to keep it at for them to live well and breed? Because currently my temp is at 27C

Probably they'd eat a few of the bloodworms. I've seen cherry shrimp arguing over a California blackworm.. one pulling at one end, one pulling the other end. Eventually they snapped it in two and each made off their prize. Don't overfeed large items like these though, while they love meaty foods, it takes shrimp some time to eat something like a worm.

Probably they'd eat a few of the bloodworms. I've seen cherry shrimp arguing over a California blackworm.. one pulling at one end, one pulling the other end. Eventually they snapped it in two and each made off their prize. Don't overfeed large items like these though, while they love meaty foods, it takes shrimp some time to eat something like a worm.

Yeah ok thanks for that i'll try it out and let you know :)

Also what temp should I set it at to make them breed as it is currently a. 27C.
really need more shrimp only have a few now :/

Prefer coolish temps. I keep mine about 70-72 F.. whatever that is in C..

I just keep mine at room temp and they breed like crazy so around 20ish

Really both of you keep it around 20C and they still breed?

By keeping them at 27C am i preventing them from breeding?
because that is what they have been at since they were added to the tank :s
I really want them to breed as i have very little left...

Would appreciate all the help i can get to breed them

You don't really need a heater in your shrimp tank I put mine out side in a pond with 12c water and they did fine so they won't die if your tank gets cold but from what I researched that is the optimal breeding temp so they should be fine I'll throw a heater and my tank and see how the do.

You don't really need a heater in your shrimp tank I put mine out side in a pond with 12c water and they did fine so they won't die if your tank gets cold but from what I researched that is the optimal breeding temp so they should be fine I'll throw a heater and my tank and see how the do.

Oh I already had a heater in the tank as I've got fry with the shrimps.
So what you think 27C is fine and that they should breed at that temp?

As they haven't started breeding but I'm not sure if they are mature yet :s

Yeah it should be fine

Ok thanks and do you think if i keep them in a shrimp only tank that will encourage them to breed? Because right now i have them with some molly fry

Did you put a heater in your tank?
Hows that going?

Not yet. My heaters are in storage, elevators here are now being replaced. Frequently, I can't actually leave here, cause ten floors worth of stairs are not remotely possible to manage. Not too cold yet, I should be able to get to storage this week I hope. I have a 10G to put the Bettas in, once I divide it. Should be a few degrees warmer than the 2.5 tanks are.

Yeah I have some baby bettas in with mine and I don't see as many babies as I use too and yeah i did seams fine so far I have a few that are barried

Back
Top Bottom